Wellness

We Need to Embrace Body Positivity, and Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Let’s face it. The never-ending gossiping, bullying, and exclusion of women’s bodies is absurd. It’s almost 2020, and women are still shaming each other because of their body image. It’s about time that it came to an end.  

Of course, some of us have no clue why we were brought on this earth, whether it was to be taken on a mental roller coaster through college or to indulge in sarcasm and opportunity, but it wasn’t to degrade and belittle other women. For years, women have been bombarded with cruel and negative insults from others on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, and even in-person. According to BullyingStatistics.com, “Body-shaming statistics indicate that 94 percent of teenage girls have been body shamed.” While some often plead their first amendment right of free speech, it’s important to note that the things you say are a reflection of yourself and any people or organizations that you affiliate yourself with. So, I beg to differ on your free speech claim when it comes to shaming other women for no reason.

When women are bullied and spoken of negatively, it takes an emotional toll on them. Women are often more sensitive than men, meaning we take things a bit more literal and to the heart. Women should be empowering each other, not making others feel bad about themselves. You never know what someone is going through when you call them “fat” or a “pig” or any other name/insult that is commonly used. The person you just called ugly could be on their way to see their mother on her death bed, and the person you just called fat could be struggling with bulimia or another eating disorder. Moreover, according to Dosomething.org, “95% of people with eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25.” Think of the person you insulted being your mother, sister, or another family member. Many of us do not think of things like this, so we must be aware and think before we act. The golden rule of the time still lives on: treat people how you want to be treated.

Inclusion is needed to fix this issue. It starts with our communities. Why doesn’t every store offer plus-sized clothing? Nowadays, I see stores dedicated to plus-sized women. Why should they have to be confined to shopping in different stores, all alone? Not only does it ruin the fun of shopping with friends that don’t wear the same size as you, but it’s also awkward! This exclusion isn’t just in stores either. We also see it online in magazines and articles. I can only think of a few instances where I have seen someone post something such as a “Top 10 Favorite Sweaters” article and have actually seen the author include plus-sized clothing or versions of the sweater. Do plus-sized individuals just not exist in the retail industry?

It’s a bit sad to see that women of all sizes don’t come to mind when considering fashion. According to Media.thinknum.com, “A full 67% of adult American women wear a size 14 or larger.” If you advertise your business or company to be a “leading retail store for women,” use the term women correctly. Women are not all the same size, shape, or form. Don’t get me started on the modeling industry either. Do we have to beg for a girl with curves or a girl that doesn’t have the “perfect body?” The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show has gotten old (I still love the lingerie). It’s boring to see a bunch of super skinny women on the runway because it isn’t reality. Most of the images in magazines and publications are edited, blurring reality and causing eating disorders and self-image issues for women. I still haven’t discovered the purpose of editing a women’s body on a cover other than to portray that THAT is what women’s bodies should look like when, indeed, it isn’t. If this is what fashion has turned into, I’m not a fan.

Even with editing and photoshop, people still believe they aren’t skinny enough. In fact, according to Dosomething.org, “58% of college-aged girls feel pressured to be a certain weight.”

I’m here for an intervention. First of all, ladies, eat that pizza, wear that crop top, and drink that milkshake. If you or anyone you know deals with body image or self-confidence issues, know that there are people out there rooting for you! If nobody else loves your body, you should. And to the retail industries, modeling industries, and people in general: don’t exclude women. We’re better than that. And you all should be, too.

Clemson also offers Counseling and Psychological Services at Redfern Health Center which is free for students that experience mental and physical health issues and would like to talk to someone about it. They have counselors specifically trained in eating disorders and body image if you are struggling.

Remember, girls support girls! Or, at least, they should.

Women of all sizes and colors deserve to feel beautiful because they are beautiful. It is important to know it, too. Know your worth and always add tax, ladies! 

Ashleigh is a junior at Clemson University studying English and Brand Communication. She has hopes of writing for a magazine post-college. You can find her at the beach, chipotle, or in Death, Valley Stadium watching Clemson football!
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).