Trending without Spending

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

By: Quinn Carty

In today’s era there is a trending theme of becoming the ultimate “Do It Yourselfer”. One main DIY that we see popping up is the way to create your own personal version of today’s trendy clothing and accessories.  Well never fear, Goodwill is here. Why spend tons of money at a Wal-Mart, Target, or Michael’s, when you can get similar items inexpensively and not be worried if you mess up? And not look like everyone else? Pinterest is many college girls’ obsession, so why stop at the desserts or wedding section? Explore a little and type into the search bar “Goodwill DIY Fashion.”  A whole board comes up with hundreds of ideas that can constantly be used as a starting point.

The time for functions, parties, and holidays is upon us, so get ready. Need something to do with friends? Grab a couple and head to Goodwill, pick up inexpensive clothes and get ready to get crafty, without going broke. Clemson has a local Goodwill, so put it to good use for something other than their used couches.

Even if you feel as if you’re not a crafty person, you too can start basic. If you are feeling like an expert, go for the crazy designs. Here are some great ideas for either your everyday basic needs, or for an upcoming party.

Here is a headband made completely of materials from goodwill.

Here are shoes purchased at Goodwill for under $10, along with the paints for cheap!

Here is a belt purchased from Goodwill to make an adorable handle for a simple bag!

Here a girl turned a men’s collared shirt into a great fit and flare shirt.

Purchase a pair of goodwill jeans, cut, and apply beach! Perfect for summer!

So with these examples and many others, there are endless possibilities to get excited about. If you’re craving a new style, without emptying your pockets, Goodwill can save the day or the season for you! Look past the stigmas associated with wearing Goodwill clothes and be trendy without being spendy!