This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Recent reports by the CDC indicate that the current Influenza season is one of the worst we’ve ever experienced. The U.S. has reached record numbers as far as deaths and the total number of people who have contracted the Influenza virus. If you’ve had the unfortunate experience of getting the flu, my sincerest apologies, however, if you haven’t here are some tips that will help you stay healthy and hopefully avoid catching the flu.

1. Get plenty of rest.

I know it’s hard trying to find time to sleep while being overloaded with tests, papers, etc. However, a lack of rest prevents our immune system from being able to fight off very common illness that come around each season, for example, the flu. Most people need 6-8 hours of sleep per night for their bodies to function at the optimal level.  

2. Drink plenty of fluids.

Drinking water, Gatorade, or any drink that is high in vitamins, like vitamin C and other nutrients can be very beneficial when trying to nurse a virus or prevent you from contracting one. Electrolyte replacement drinks aid to give the body what it’s missing to fight off viruses.

3. Eat healthy.

Yes, pizza is great! We all love pizza, but we can still find time to eat some leafy greens and fruits that are high in vitamins and minerals. Having a healthy diet can also aid your body to fight off viruses and give you energy to keep moving.

4. Exercise

Just like sleep, our bodies need exercise. It’s not just a want it’s a need! Exercise keeps the blood flowing in the body and because we have white blood cells, which aid the immune system in fighting illnesses, we need those cells to flow throughout our bodies! Even 30 minutes a day of walking is beneficial according to the American Heart Association.

I am the type of person that will laugh in the middle of a silent room because of something that happened days ago!
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.