Talk Dirty to Me: Sexual Health Services at Clemson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

It’s almost spring (though it doesn’t feel like it), which means romance is in the air! However, when you are looking to start a new relationship, it’s important to make sure that your last partner didn’t leave you with any parting gifts. Even though getting checked for sexually transmitted infections can seem scary, and many people just assume they’re clean because they notice no side effects, it is so important to get checked. In fact, according to the Center for Disease control, HPV is so common that it effects almost all sexually active adults at some point. HPV is the sexually transmitted infection that can cause genital warts, which is not something you want to catch you unaware! So, the truth of the matter is that getting checked for, or being infected with, an STI is not something you should feel shame over. It happens to so many people, and the most important thing is to stay update on your sexual health.

While some may not be aware of it, you can even take care of your sexual health right here on campus.  One of the best parts of being a Clemson student is the access to campus resources like Redfern. Through Redfern, students have access to tests for gonorrhea, chlamydia, herpes, syphilis, and HPV. The clinic also offers HIV testing and confidential counselling. You can make an appointment for this kind of service just like you would any other appointment. However, Redfern will also hold free clinic events where you can drop in for testing. These take place in the basement level of the clinic, where it’s secluded and private. Keep an eye out for these events in your email each semester.

Redfern also offer other sexual health services, such as prescriptions for birth control like the pill, patch, ring or Plan B. There’s also always access to free condoms and spermicide, and pregnancy testing. All your basic needs are covered right on campus, you just need to reach out!

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19