Style 101: Are Yeezy Boost Worth the Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Kanye West is one of the most controversial artist and everyone has their own opinion about him. For the past two years West has been debuting a line of clothing and this year was Yeezy Season 3. After having a fashion show in New York City with over 20,000 people in attendance, Kanye releases a his highly sought after shoes, the Yeezy Boosts 350, who he partners with Adidas to make. This Friday, February 19th, will be a rerelease of the Yeezy Boost 350 in the “Pirate Black” color. These shoes retail for about $200 depending on where you buy them. Yeezy Boosts are highly sought after, but why are they so hyped up?

There might be many people online who have the shoes, but the Yeezy Boost or any other shoes made by West sell out almost immediately after they are released. Pre-orders have started three days before their release on Friday and will close Wednesday night or Thursday morning. A limited amount of retailers in bigger cities are even carrying the shoes. A description of the shoes states that they are low-top shoe, and features an upper element composed of tonal Primeknit: a breakthrough material developed using Adidas’ most advanced digital engineering techniques to fit like a second skin. Color-coordinated outsoles leverage adidas BOOST™’s highly responsive properties to offer an unparalleled level of comfort, performance, and style (adidas.com). What sets these shoes apart, other than the fact that they are designed by Kanye West are that they are suppose to be the most high quality sneaker with a stylish element.

Compared to Nike shoes with the same quality and look they are about the same price with the same amount of features. Compared to other shoes they are on-par with competitors. West has been noted saying that he wanted to make shoes that many people would be able to afford and although these shoes may not be the most affordable price for shoes, they compete with those of the next best competitor,Nike. Although, once these shoes are sold out, they are put on resale sites, such as Ebay for $500-$2,000 or more. Overall after doing research, I would say that compared to other shoes they are worth buying if you can get your hands on them and have the money. If you can’t get your hands on the Yeezy Boost, the Nike Free 5.0 ($165), and Nike Roshe ($80) are a close match.

Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!