Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Resources For Those Affected By Sexual Harassment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Co-Written By: Hailey Meyer

Sexual harassment and sexual assault are still very prevalent in our society today. However, it is not openly discussed. Many individuals and even victims of sexual assault lack the knowledge on what the difference between sexual harassment and sexual assault is and, additionally, how to go about reporting an incident if one shall occur.  In this article, we want to bring awareness to all of these topics so individuals, especially Clemson students, have the resources needed to protect themselves. As college students, we are at high risk of falling victim to sexual harassment or sexual assault. Statistics show that women aged from 18-24 consistently experience the highest level of victimization, which coincidentally is exactly the age range most college students fall in to (Clemson title IV page).

Let’s start with the basics. According to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, harassment is illegal and includes “offensive remarks about a person’s sex, unwelcome sexual advances, or requests for sexual favors.” It is important to mention that the victim and the accused harasser can be either female or male – and can be of the same sex.  The law does not prohibit teasing, extemporaneous comments or incidents that are not considered “serious.” Although these three things do not meet the criteria for harassment, there are still boundaries and limitations that can be broken. These actions become illegal when it becomes frequent and severe, creating an uncomfortable, intimidating environment.

According to Clemson’s Title IX website, sexual assault is “any attempted or actual act of nonconsensual sexual intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio, anal intercourse or any intrusion, however slight, of any part of a person’s body or of any other object into the oral, genital, or annual openings of another person’s body. This includes forcible or non-forcible sex offenses under the uniform crime reporting system of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.”  This can consist of a range of actions; some examples are rape, fondling, child molestation, incest, etc. In other words, sexual assault is any sexual contact or behavior without the person’s consent. One statics show that most victims know their assailants. Individuals in college specifically tend to experience a false sense of safety around them, trusting strangers (because we are all students and classmates at the same university), walking a half of a mile alone in the dark (because you had to stay out late studying at the library), to taking an Uber or taxi alone to meet up with friends. All of these things mentioned put us in harm’s way.

Mentioned briefly above are specific examples of what sexual harassment and sexual assault consist of. However – more times than not – individuals don’t exactly know what to report when reporting the incident. To clear up what each of these are, I would like to discuss each in a bit more detail.  According to Clemson University’s Anti-Harassment and Non-Discrimination Policy, rape is “the carnal knowledge of a person without the consent of the victim.” Fondling is very similar as it consists of touching the private parts of a person without the consent of the victim. Lack of consent can be a result of the age of the victim (in South Carolina, the legal age of consent is 16), and/ or the victim’s temporary or permanent state of incapacitation.  According to RAINN, “11.2% of all students experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation.” Subsequently only about 20% of female students who are victims of sexual assault report to law enforcement. These two statistics alone are a major reason we want to bring awareness to this issue and give victims another resource to get help and report their unfortunate encounters.

Now that we know the difference between sexual harassment and sexual assault, the next section of this article will discuss Clemson’s policies on both so students in our surrounding area have the resources available at their convenience. To keep our Clemson community safe, we want to emphasize the resources offered and the individuals available to help victims.  

Unfortunately, even if you do everything right, sexual assault can still occur.  Therefore if you or someone you know is ever a victim of any form of sexual harassment, here is some helpful information on what your options are in terms of moving forward.

Immediately After an Event

1. Are you in immediate danger or seriously injured?  

If so, call 911.

2. Are you safe?

If you don’t feel safe, think about reaching out to someone you trust.

3. Remember: This was not your fault.  

You are in no way responsible for what happened.  Someone did something you didn’t want, and that is never okay.

4. Call the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800-656-4673)

They will then connect you to a local sexual assault provider where a trained staff member will direct you to a local health facility.  They may be able to send an advocate to accompany you as well.

Short-Term: Important Things to Know (Especially If You’re Considering Reporting)

• It’s recommended you go straight to the emergency room and avoid showering, changing clothes, eating/drinking, or using the bathroom beforehand

• If you’ve already changed, make sure to keep the clothes you were wearing in a paper bag (don’t use plastic bags)

• If you think you’ve been drugged, tell the doctor or nurse. They may do a urine test because drugs are better detected there than in your blood

• Write down as much as you can about the incident, in case you decide to report later

• Victims can have an exam done and report anonymously to any local hospital

• The costs of any exams are covered by SC Victim Assistance

Long-Term: If You Want to Report

Reporting to Clemson University

First, it’s important to know that certain protective measures can be taken in response to Harassment/Discrimination Complaints.  

1. No-Contact Orders

No-Contact Orders or more commonly known as Restraining Orders restrict a person from being in physical or verbal contact with another person.

2. Interim Measures

Interim Measures are the variety of ways parties can be protected in an investigation.  For example, separating parties, reassignment, alternative work or student housing arrangements, and providing an escort to class or other activities.

Since the complaint is to the school and not the police, it is called a Non-Criminal Internal Complain Process.  This consists of an investigative hearing process by those who receive annual training on the various forms of sexual harassment.  Both you and the accused are entitled to an advisor who will be present during all proceedings or related meetings. Also, both parties will receive, in writing, the notification of the outcome, any changes before its finalized, and the final outcome. Any complaints involving sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking committed by a student, employee, or someone affiliated with Clemson University should be reported to Alesia Smith, the Title IX Coordinator.  She can be contacted through the Office of Access and Equity. The contact info is listed below:

110 Holtzendorff Hall Box 345404 Clemson, SC 29607 Phone: 864-656-3181 Email: cuae@clemson.edu

Criminal Reporting

If the crime occurred on campus, it should be reported to CUPD (864-656-2222), and if not, call 911 or the law enforcement agency whose jurisdiction it falls under.  If a report is created with CUPD, they will provide an advocate to ensure medical treatment and counseling are offered, regardless of whether the victim wants to open a case.  

If You Don’t Want to Report

If reporting what happened isn’t something you’re interested in, that’s totally okay.  However, it’s still recommended that you talk to someone to help you cope with what you’ve experienced.  Listed below are some confidential resources that we encourage you to reach out to when you’re ready.

Counseling and Psychological Services:

Student victims of sexual violence can seek crisis counseling services through Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). During normal business hours, CAPS can be contacted by calling 864-656-2451. After hours and on weekends, CAPS can be contacted by calling 864-656-2222, ask for the CAPS on-call counselor. All victims of sexual violence may seek crisis counseling services through the Pickens Rape Crisis Council at 864-442-5500.  

CUPD Victim Assistance:

The Clemson University Police Department assists all campus crime victims with referrals, transportation, court familiarization, and compensation. 864-656-2222

Pickens County Advocacy Center

The mission of Pickens County Advocacy Centers is to provide optimum quality direct services to the victims of sexual assault and their families in Pickens County. The Pickens County Advocacy Center aims to provide an advocate that can be there for any victim in their time of need and to show each victim that someone does believe them and is on their side. 864-442-5500

Foothills Sexual Trauma Center (Anderson and Oconee Counties):

Foothills Alliance is a nonprofit agency that encompasses three programs: Sexual Trauma Center, Child Advocacy Center, and Prevent Child Abuse. The Sexual Trauma Center is a multi-services program responding to the needs of child and adult sexual trauma survivors in Anderson and Oconee counties. The center provides support for survivors, family members and others involved in the survivor’s recovery. 1-800-585-8952

MARYS House (Domestic and Relationship Violence):

MARYS House provides emergency shelter and services to families fleeing domestic violence. The MARYS House family (staff, volunteers, and Board of Directors) works toward the prevention and cessation of domestic violence through intervention, education, and outreach. 864-859-9191

Safe Harbor (Domestic and Relationship Violence):

Safe Harbor is an organization that provides safe shelter, counseling and advocacy for victims of domestic violence as well as leadership for education and prevention efforts throughout its four-county area of Anderson, Greenville, Oconee and Pickens, South Carolina. Safe Harbor offers a continuum of services, providing safe emergency shelter, counseling, legal advocacy, and transitional housing, as well as community outreach and teen dating violence education. 1-800-291-2139

RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network):

RAINN is the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800-656-HOPE and online.rainn.org). RAINN also carries out programs to prevent sexual violence, help victims and ensure that rapists are brought to justice. 1-800-656-4673

Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.