Quarantine Book Club: The Guest List by Lucy Foley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Are you bored with staying home and wish you could run away to an Irish island? Do you need some intrigue and drama to stay entertained? Do you appreciate a carefully crafted story with realistic characters who have salacious secrets?

If you said yes to any of these questions, read The Guest List by Lucy Foley.

A post shared by ???? ?? ??? ????? (@bookofthemonth) on

The Guest List begins and ends with a wedding. A successful magazine publisher, Jules Keegan, and an up-and-coming television star, Will Slater, are a beautiful couple preparing for their exclusive, lavish wedding on a remote Irish island. Mainlanders regard the island with horror and contempt as they whisper local legends of haunted castles and unfortunate drowning victims. Aoife, and her husband, Freddy, have transformed the quiet castle into a dream wedding venue, but even a seasoned wedding planner cannot account for secrets and betrayals among the wedding party. When a powerful storm plunges the wedding into darkness, an irrevocable act is committed. But what has happened? And why?

Told through the point of view of the bride, the bridesmaid, the wedding planner, the best man, and the plus one of the bride’s best friend, this story weaves a carefully connected web. Every character comes to this island with a past, and as you get to know them individually, expect to be shocked by the secrets they’re even keeping from you.

Normally, I pride myself in anticipating “shocking” plot points and picking up on subtle themes, but I have never been this surprised in my life. Up until the last page, I couldn’t read fast enough to answer the final lingering question.

via GIPHY

Overall rating? 5/5 Stars

When I started this book, I wasn’t sure if I even liked it. I felt like there were too many characters and too many unanswered questions, but if I’d paid attention to all the subtle clues and careful characterization, I wouldn’t have been so surprised when the story gripped my attention and refused to let go. I ended up finishing this book in one day, and honestly, I can’t imagine reading it any other way.

I intend to reread this book to see if I can pick up on missed hints along the way, but I wish I could relive the shock and awe of the first read.

If you enjoy suspense and mysteries, this is the book for you.

Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).