etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

“What’s your New Year’s Resolution?”

“What’s your Word of the Year?”

“2019 is going to be the BEST year yet!”

We hear these things every year, but do people really go through with the words of the year or the dieting? And how long does 2019 stay the best? Every year, it’s the same questions and the same statement with the blank replies and self-promises. I hate people giving up on these things before they even start. I hate seeing family and friends give up on their dreams and goals because it was too hard. I lost 30 pounds, and it was the hardest thing I have ever done – but it was so worth it in the long run (How I Lost 30+ Pounds in 5 Months). When times get rough, people just give up. So, what if YOU broke the New Year’s Curse and DIDN’T give up?

Here are 3 stereotypes traps that you don’t have to fall into this year:  

1. “What’s your New Year’s Resolution?”

I believe you are not a quitter, so let’s set a goal together. It might be little or silly, but it is meant to be for you, not anyone else. My New Year’s Resolution is to fill myself emotionally, physically, and mentally. I picked something that I felt like I needed to work on, and that became my New Year’s Resolution. I reflected on my past year, and I chose what I wanted to be better at. Maybe you want to be off social media more or be more social. l say pick that and STICK to it. Start small. For instance, I want to do 50 pushups a day, read 20 minutes of something that fuels me, and tell myself something positive every day. It is small. Maybe you restrict social media to 2 hours a day and then work your way smaller. Start with 2 hours, then move to 1, then move to 30 minutes. Maybe you replace the activity altogether. Work towards the goal in baby steps. It is much more manageable to achieve.

2. “What’s your Word of the Year?”

One word. You can accomplish one word. I love having one word to look at every day to remember to strive to be like that word to the best of my ability. I began my word of the year last year when it was required for my job. I picked the word “brave.” I wrote it in calligraphy and drew Merida from the movie “Brave.” This helped me remember to be brave every day. In my dorm room, I have my “brave” poster right across from my bed, so when I wake up, it is the first thing I see. Now, my poster has a new friend, “strong.” My word goes with my resolution. It helps me keep focused on my goal. I strongly encourage you to do this. Put the word somewhere you can see it every day. Then, chase that word and never look back.

3. “2019 is going to be the BEST year yet!”

I hate this saying. Every single year Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook fill up with the “2018 was terrible, but 2019 will be the best one.” Lies. Everyone focuses on the negatives and never see the optimism. I encourage you to reflect on the past year and remember the good things. What if every month you wrote down one good thing that happened to you that month or took a picture that reminded you about that good experience? Your reflection on the past year might look a lot different. Here is my list of positives this past year:

• January: I began my lifestyle change with my mom to eat healthier and workout more. I was in a huge project at my Church to transform and design a worship area for kids.

• February: I went on an adventure to my first National Park and started my last year of high school soccer.

• March: I officially drop a dress size, and I got into Clemson University.

• April: I finished soccer season and completely lost 30 pounds for prom.

• May: I met my roommate and suite mates who have become my best friends and supporters.

• June: I graduated high school.

• July: I hiked 10 miles up a mountain in a thunderstorm and visited my family up in Ohio.

• August: I moved into Clemson University and got 2 fish named Tom and Jerry.

• September: I got a job at a farm and learned I love baby cows.

• October: I visited my childhood best friend at her college in North Carolina.

• November: I got an apartment for next year and voted for the first time.

• December: I passed all my exams and spent about a month with my family.

It’s the little things, my friends. So, I encourage you to look at the positives this year. I looked back at the list that I’ve just written, and a smile crept across my face. 2018 was a good year.

My beautiful friends, run towards your goals and enjoy the person you become. Look at every year with a positive attitude. Reflect and enjoy all the experiences that 2018 has thrown at you. Make the best out of 2019 and make yourself the best you can ever be.

Just a girl who wants to brighten someone's day just one Big Ol' Smile at a time. Follow my journey on social media: @sgallo09
Kate Freed

Clemson '21

Hi! My name is Kate Freed and I'm from Raleigh, NC. I'm a sophomore Communication major at Clemson University. I love all things fitness, food, and fashion. I teach kickboxing and barre and am passionate about motivating others to be their best selves.