This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Happy National High Five Day! Yep, the third Thursday of April is National High Five Day. No one really knows where the high five originated, but it is often thought to have become popular in the 1970s as a variation of the low high five, which has existed since World War II or before. Some think the first high five occured at Dodger Stadium in 1977 betweeen Glenn Burke and Dusty Baker, who had hit a homerun. Others think it occured at a University of Louisville Cardinals’ basketball practice in 1978 between Wiley Brown and Derek Smith.

Even though the origin is blurry, we know for sure that National High Five Day was started by students at the University of Virginia in 2002. These students distributed lemonade and high fives on campus. People all over the US loved it and now it’s a national holiday.

Go give some high fives and maybe drink a cold lemonade in honor of this fun day!

Thanks to HolidaysCalendar.com for the info!

Kate Freed

Clemson '21

Hi! My name is Kate Freed and I'm from Raleigh, NC. I'm a sophomore Communication major at Clemson University. I love all things fitness, food, and fashion. I teach kickboxing and barre and am passionate about motivating others to be their best selves.