Movie Sequels to Be Excited About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Movie Sequels to Be Excited About

1) The Huntsman Winter’s War – (April 22, 2016)

After the defeat of the evil queen (Charlize Theron) her sister, the ice queen (Emily Blunt), hears word and goes to recover the magic mirror.  When the evil queen comes back to life it is up to the Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) and fellow warrior Sara to bring peace back to the land.

2) Captain America: Civil War – (May 6, 2016)

The third Captain America movie will lead the Avengers into trouble.  The plot will be focused on a raging feud between Captain America (Chris Evans) and Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) after pressure rises and superheroes will now be required to register with the government.

3) Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising – (May 20, 2016)

With new stars such as Selena Gomez, Chloe Grace Moretz, and Cameron Dallas being added into the mix with returning stars  Zac Efron, Dave Franco and Seth Rogen, we know this is going to be hilarious!

4) Alice Through the Looking Glass – (May 27, 2016)

The sequel to Alice in Wonderland, this time it will not be directed by Tim Burton but instead James Bobin director of The Muppets.  Alice will return to Wonderland and encounter the character of Time in order to go back and save the Mad Hatter.  This movie will include the voice of Alan Rickman as the Blue Caterpillar, his ultimately final appearance in the film industry after his death.

5)  Now You See Me 2 – (June 10, 2016)

The Four Horsemen are back with new magic tricks as part of the notorious and secretive club The Eye.  The story takes place one year after they disappeared from the FBI but now they are back to take down a corrupt tech guru (Daniel Radcliffe) before they get taken down themselves.   

6) Finding Dory – (June 17, 2016)

For the past six months Dory (voiced by Ellen DeGeneres) has been living at the reef with Nemo and Marlin.  After Dory starts to get some of her memories back about her family, the movie will pick up mostly at the California Marine Biology Institute where Dory was raised.  

7) Independence Day: Resurgence – (June 24, 2016)

It has been twenty years since the alien invasion of the first movie.  Earth will once again be fighting for its survival against a new threat.  The film will be bringing back some of its original cast members such as Jeff Goldblum and bringing in new ones such as Liam Hemsworth.  However, Will Smith will not be returning to his role after his last science fiction movie After Earth underperformed at the box office.

8)  The Purge: Election Year – (July 1, 2016)

Just in time for the fourth of July the third installment of The Purge series centers around a Presidential election.  Perfect for 2016.  A Presidential candidate, Senator Charlene Roan,  is running on the platform of eliminating The Purge which makes her a major target on Purge night.  

9) Ghostbusters – (July 15, 2016)

This remake of the 1984 classic is starring an all-girl squad full of the best comedians: Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, and Leslie Jones   The roles have officially been reversed and now Chris Hemsworth will be the secretary of the agency.  It is directected by Paul Feig who also happens to be the director of Bridesmaids, The Heat, and Spy.  The trailer will make its worldwide appearance on March 3, 2016.

Former Senior Editor
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!