Mansi Joglekar ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Name: Mansi Joglekar

Major/Year: Biological Sciences; Freshman (but academic Sophomore)

Hometown: Anderson, South Carolina

Why you chose Clemson University

I picked Clemson for a few reasons. First, I got a scholarship through the university and wanted to save money for medical school. Second, I’m close to home, which is something that I really enjoy; I like being able to go home on weekends, when I’m sick, or just missing my family. Third, because I live so close, Clemson is almost like home for me and that made moving in and adjusting to life on my own that much easier. I love being on campus: the atmosphere and the people are so inviting.

Favorite thing about writing for Her Campus Clemson

I have always loved writing and have been looking for an opportunity since I moved in. I’m also looking forward to connecting with other women, hopefully with some of my interests. But what I think I’m really going to enjoy is the more casual atmosphere, which fits really well into my already hectic schedule. I want to have time to write something, anything, and this seems to fit that role perfectly.

What else are you involved in on campus?

I am a member of the American Medical Student Association (AMSA) on campus, specifically in the Primary Care Committee. I am a dancer in Clemson Dholna, an Indian fusion dance team that combines Bhangra, Bollywood, and Bharatnatiyam (traditional Indian dance). I am doing research in Chemistry on campus, in which we try and discover the properties of a compound through various experiments. And I am a member of the Association for India’s Development (AID) chapter on campus, although it is a mainly graduate student organization.

Favorite dorm/ apartment décor?

I like things that are functional; for example, I have a hanging mirror that can open and store jewelry, hair accessories, wallets, etc. I also love things that remind me of India because my family is from there; that could be anything from wall decorations to blankets to elephants (which are my favorite animals). In general, I just like things that make the place feel lived in, like home.

What do you do in your free time?

I love to write, especially poetry; I have been writing poems since I was 12 and have an entire journal filled with original works. I also love spending time with friends and exploring new places both around campus and elsewhere. I love watching plays and movies because acting and performance have always been a huge passion of mine, especially musical theater. As I said before, I’m on a dance team on campus, so I will spend some time practicing or learning new steps; I also love finding new music and remixes of Indian and American songs.

Celebrity crush:

Because I recently watched “Deadpool” (which I highly recommend if you have not seen it yet) I love Ryan Reynolds. Not only is he good-looking and a decent actor, his sense of humor is crude and generally inappropriate, which mines mine unfortunately well.

Favorite Clemson tradition:

My favorite has to be Solid Orange, where every Friday, the campus is bathed in Clemson orange. I think it’s nice to see the students coming together to celebrate the university that has given us an amazing opportunity at an incredible education, one that is thorough and enjoyable. I try my best to wear orange faithfully, but even if I cannot, I make sure I at least have a Clemson t-shirt on.

Ideal/best first date you have been on:

The best first date I’ve been on was with my current boyfriend about a month ago when he came to my dorm after a party. After I told him that I wasn’t interested in doing anything risqué that night, he stuck around to take care of me until I fell asleep. We ended up spending most of the night talking about anything – school, future careers, family, friends, etc. – and fell asleep together around 4 in the morning. I found that I had a lot in common with him and that there were sides to him I could never have imagined. There was an undeniable connection, one that is still going strong a month later.

What do you want to do in your career?

Since I was little, I have always wanted to do something in the medical field. Both of my parents are doctors, and I have always thought medicine is fascinating and amazing. Being able to help someone, even if it’s just one person, would make my life so worthwhile. As of right now, I either want to be some kind of surgeon or a forensic psychiatrist, but I don’t think I will know for sure until I actually get into medical school and am able to experience the different specialties. After that, I plan on working with Doctors Without Borders, a non-profit organization that sends medical aid for free or almost free to people in need in war-torn or under-developed countries and neighborhoods. It’s a group that I have researched thoroughly and donate to every year; something about which I am very passionate.

Current favorite fashion trend?

I love high-waisted clothing, mainly because I have an hourglass figure and the cut complements my natural curves. I also think for skinnier girls, like my sister, it adds definition to the body and helps add more volume to the hips and chest. Besides, the clothing shape is pretty comfortable because the edge of the bottoms don’t fold right underneath the stomach; they rise a little higher for a more comfortable fit.

If you have studied abroad where did you go and what was your favorite thing about it?

I haven’t studied abroad yet; I’m going this summer to South Africa with my scholarship group! But I have traveled quite a bit: my sister and I counted 26 different countries. I have always loved traveling. I think that it’s the best way to see the world and experience new cultures and points of view. I also think that it’s important because it can widen one’s horizons, especially for a student. My favorite thing about traveling is the food; to me, it speaks volumes about the culture – what’s accessible to them, what is grown there, what the people’s favorites are, etc.

What did you do for Spring Break?

The first Saturday of Spring Break, some friends and I went to Carowinds and spent the day there. After that, I spent a day with my boyfriend to celebrate his birthday. Other than that, I didn’t have much planned except getting ahead in schoolwork. I kind of liked it because it gave me flexibility to do what I wanted and explore a little, with my friends.

I'm an Honors Biological Sciences major here at Clemson University. I love science, theater, poetry, and music and am incredibly passionate about world events, especially what's going on in the Middle East. I love meeting new people, trying new things (especially food), and sharing new experiences with the people I love!
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!