jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Like any foreign language you are unfamiliar with, it can be hard to translate and understand what someone’s love language is. Love languages can be super tricky because some people express multiple types or don’t even know what their own love language is. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, sometimes the best gift is just genuinely trying tounderstand the person you are with. To help with that, here’s a breakdown of each love language and some Valentine’sDay gift/date ideas that will satisfy each type of love language.

1. Words of Affirmation

If your partner expresses this love language, that means that words speak more than actions. Your partner loves being reassured by you telling them that you love them or they meanthe world to you or you can’t live without them. Even though that dinner reservation was a sweet gesture, just letting them know that they are the only one for you is the best gift you can give them.

Gift/Date Idea:  Write a heartfelt letter explaining just how much that person means to you.

2. Acts of Service

If your partner expresses this love language, your actions speak louder than anything you could say. They just want to know that you can take a little bit of the responsibility. Whether it be walking the dogs, taking out the trash, or cleaning the house after you know they’ve had a long day, showing that you can handle some day-to-day responsibilities is what they really want to see. Don’t waste your time setting up the perfect mood in the bedroom if there are still chores to be done.

Gift/Date Idea: Instead of going out to dinner, make dinner for your partner. Cater their every need and save some money while you’re at it. 

3. Receiving Gifts

This language is pretty self-explanatory and probably the easiest to satisfy on this Hallmark holiday. Though this person likes to receive a gift over anything else, they still want to see the effort behind the present. 

Gift/Date Idea: Ditch the cliché teddy bear and chocolate to make a collage/photo book of every moment you’ve captured since being together.

4. Quality Time

If this is the love language of your partner, attention is what they seek – but not just the clingy kind of attention. They want the attentionwhere they know that you are in the moment with them and not thinking about anything else. Sometimes, it’s nice to see that your partner’s only focused on you and isn’t distracted by video games.

Gift/Date Idea: Do an electronic free picnic in scenicarea where you and your partner can just enjoy each other’s company and the view.

5. Physical Touch

This language encompasses more than just the bedroom. Cuddling on the couch, an arm rub, or a simple brushback of the hair can be all it takes to make your partner happy. Touching your partner in a way that makes them feel comforted and safe is the key to please your partner. Definitelyknow their limits, and if they don’t seem to be enjoying whatever you are doing, don’t continue further. 

Gift/Date Idea: A simple Netflix and chill can do the trick for this one. 

Hopefully, this quick breakdown can help you give your person exactlywhat they this Valentine’s Day without having to ask for it. And if you want to know what your love language is, just click here. 

Additional Sources: https://www.5lovelanguages.com/profile/singles/ https://verilymag.com/2013/04/dr-gary-chapman-explains-the-5-love-languages

Jessica Bush

Clemson '21

I am a junior Packaging Science major attending Clemson University. I am from Greenville, South Carolina. In my spare time, I enjoy going out with my family and friends, watching movies, and taking road trips. I hope to be the voice for someone that may be too afraid to speak for themselves. Joining Her Campus is a large step in that direction.