Love is Basically Dead: The Breakup of Jenna Dewan and Channing Tatum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Love’s official time of death: April 2, 2018.

No, it isn’t an April Fool’s joke. If you haven’t yet heard, Hollywood’s favorite celebrity couple, Jenna Dewan Tatum and Channing Tatum, announced over Instagram that after nine years of marriage, they have decided to separate.

The Step Up co-stars fell in love after working together on the project in 2006. Jenna Dewan recalled the story of how they met to Ellen DeGeneres in 2017. Jenna explained how when they met, they both were in relationships, and wanted time to just “be free.” But after a “crazy wild tequila night,” Channing showed up at her hotel at 2 in the morning, banging on the door, in a sombrero, underwear, and Ugg boots. From that point forward, they stayed together.

(If Channing Tatum, half naked, in a Mexican hat and wearing Ugg fur boots showing up at your doorstep at 2 a.m. isn’t your fantasy, I would lovingly suggest you to reconsider your life.)

From that point on, Channing and Jenna have been Hollywood’s golden couple; appearing in dozens of red carpet events together, dancing on numerous shows, and supporting each other openly on social media. After their wedding in 2009, and the addition of their baby girl, Everly, it seemed to seal the deal for the “World’s Cutest Couple.”

But the reign of this power couple is officially coming to the end. Hearts are breaking everywhere (while others are rejoicing at their chance to finally make it with the Magic Mike star).

The couple appears to be separating in the best terms. “We have lovingly chosen to separate as a couple,” they said. “We fell deeply in love so many years ago and have had a magical journey together. Absolutely nothing has changed about how much we love one another, but love is a beautiful adventure that is taking us on different paths for now.” 

A post shared by Jenna Dewan Tatum (@jennadewan) on

In this stressful time, Jenna and Chan are wished the best. But I also will not complain if Channing decides to pull that sombrero, 2 a.m. stunt on my doorstep.

In all of the madness, it does leave the big question:

The original power couple, Brad and Angelina, are splitsville. Jenna and Channing are now separating.

What power couple will the stress of Hollywood and fame take down next?

Clemson University Her Campus Senior Editor
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.