Culture > News

Los Angeles Rams’ Male Cheerleaders Make NFL History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Let’s be real. Sunday night’s Super Bowl game was a total snooze fest. Many predicted the outcome, and after the grueling quarters, the New England Patriots (as expected) came out as the victors. Although the Los Angeles Rams didn’t win, they still proved to be winners. You may ask, “Why?” Because after 99 years of the NFL, there were finally male cheerleaders who performed during the Super Bowl game!

Napoleon Jinnies and Quinton Peron are the names of the two deserving men who performed for the Los Angeles Rams this year. History was already made at the beginning of the season when they became the first male cheerleaders in the NFL alongside Jesse Hernandez of the New Orleans Saints.

There have been men in the past who performed for NFL teams, but they were described as “stuntmen” and didn’t perform the same moves as the female cheerleaders. Jinnies and Peron are the first to dance alongside female cheerleaders throughout the season as well the Super Bowl.

So with that, times are changing, and barriers continue to be broken. We’ll just have to see what’s next! Maybe one day we will have merged teams of men and women on popular platforms such as football! 

Amor Gray-Williams is a sophomore currently attending Clemson University seeking a degree in Management and a minor in French studies. She loves traveling, singing horribly, taking unphotogenic photos and hanging out with her dog Nico. You can keep up with her @amoaia on Instagram!
Kate Freed

Clemson '21

Hi! My name is Kate Freed and I'm from Raleigh, NC. I'm a sophomore Communication major at Clemson University. I love all things fitness, food, and fashion. I teach kickboxing and barre and am passionate about motivating others to be their best selves.