Life Lessons from Jo March

If you haven’t seen or read Little Women, you need to. This classic by Louisa May Alcott was published in 1868 and has more to offer us than most books today. One of the main characters, Jo March, is young, willful and independent. She knows exactly who she is, and she makes her own luck. So, here are some lessons that Jo would teach us if she were here:

1. 1. Femininity can mean getting married and having kids or going out into the world and being a boss – or both!

woman holding coffee cup saying boss lady
  2. 2. Invest in your relationships and find your people.

The Lalathree Girls Sitting By A Fountain
  3. 3. Don’t change who you are to fit the world’s definition...stay true to yourself and do what makes YOU proud.

Girl Happy
  4. 4. We are all “hopelessly flawed” and we should own it!

A girl looking at herself in the mirror smiling

Jo March shows us what strong femininity truly means. She is independent and also values family. She chases her dreams and isn’t ashamed of her talents, learning that it is best to be true to who she is instead of who the world tells her to be.

Let her inspire you to be bold today and every day! Maybe that means finally applying for that internship, meeting with that professor to tell them you are struggling or talking to that cute boy in your class. Whatever it is, channel your inner Jo March and go get it!