Laura Matrazzo: Reigning for Scholarship and Service

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Hometown: Chapel Hill, NC

Major/Minor: Marketing/Management

Year: Senior

Other Organization Involvement: Delta Zeta, President of University Dance Company, Volunteer for Clemson Childhood Development Center, Dance Instructor at Cheryl’s Dance Studio

Favorite Clemson Tradition: Homecoming and the Float Build

How old were you when you first entered pageants?

I was 19 years old and a sophomore in college when I first entered pageants.

What made you want to compete?

I was inspired by two of my Delta Zeta sisters. They both competed in pageants, and I looked up to them. They were successful and all-around good people. Being around them, you could tell that no matter what they chose to do in life, they had a clear future of success. Of course, they were also beautiful and talented, but the way they carried themselves is what made me look up to them.   

I’ve also been a dancer since the age of 3. Growing up dancing, I loved the stage and performing. When I came to college, I didn’t have the opportunity to be onstage often. Being in pageants has allowed me to reconnect to that part of myself.

Do you have a favorite category in the pageant competition? If so, what is it?

I love the talent portion of pageants. I’ve only participated in 3 preliminaries throughout my career, and I’ve won overall talent in 2 of the 3. My talent is tap, and I started training seriously in tap at the age of 8. I choreograph my own solos for competition.

What titles have you held throughout your pageant career?

Miss Chapel Hill USA, Miss Western Piedmont 2016, Miss Randolph County 2017

What is the most recent title you have won?

I won Miss Randolph County 2017 this past weekend. Miss Randolph County resides over Asheboro, North Carolina.

After being crowned Miss Randolph County, where will you go from here?

Right now, I focus on serving the community in Randolph County. I will make several appearances in the coming year. The day after I was crowned, I made an appearance at a Halloween event held at the North Carolina Zoo. I will officially start training for Miss North Carolina come December or January. This will prep me for Miss North Carolina that will be held in June.

What is your platform and why is it special to you?

My platform is called “Money Talks,” and it advocates for student-focused principles of finance. My aim is to help students in high school and college understand that money doesn’t have to control them and their future. By learning finance early, students can get ahead and view money differently. My platform teaches investing, managing money, understanding bank account options, and budgeting. I want to teach students that they have control over their money, and it doesn’t have to control their future. They have the ability to be independent and to learn before they even enter college how to manage their finances. Nowadays, money isn’t a tangible good especially in regards to credit card usage, so my platform works to give students an understanding of cash flow.  I am a strong advocate for financial education. My goal would to be to have colleges and universities include an introduction class to finance or offer seminars answering FAQ about money to freshmen especially as part of their required college courses like CU 1000.

How do you prepare for a state competition?

I begin preparing for a pageant months in advance. The hardest part of is the diet and exercise. I work with a trainer who focuses on getting fit in the healthy way. My end goal is never skinny, but I want to achieve the best physical version of myself.

For talent, I choreograph my own solos. I really enjoy this part of pageant preparation because it’s completely my work. I get to decide what I want to display for 90 seconds, and for me, it’s a really personal and rewarding process.

Interview preparation requires a lot of studying. As a contestant for Miss North Carolina, I have to stay on top of the news. I read the Skimm every morning, and I check the CNN app daily on my phone. I need to understand the ins and outs of the North Carolina elections especially in regards to the state legislators. In interview, you must articulate an answer that is true to yourself while also thinking about the people and organization you are representing.

One of fun parts of prepping for a pageant is shopping for my wardrobe. I get to bring my own style and taste when picking out outfits. I always make sure that my wardrobe is consistent with the rest of my onstage presence. At the age of 21, I am one of the older Miss contestants. With that, I want to make sure that my onstage presence is sophisticated and mature. I always keep this in mind when picking out my wardrobe.

What would be your ultimate goal from competing?

My ultimate goal would be to become Miss North Carolina on my way to becoming Miss America. I love being involved with the Miss America organization, as it is the biggest contributor to women’s scholarship. The scholarship money I’ve received has paid for a chunk of school and has taken that pressure off of my parents. Miss America’s close relationship to Children’s Miracle Network is another reason I love this organization because there is a direct tie between the two.

What have you learned from competing in pageants/What have you gained from your experiences in pageants?

It has sharpened my interview skills. It has fostered a love of the stage, and it has helped me develop a commanding presence. I have found a new level of confidence in pageants because you work for months and you are able to display that work onstage. It has given me a new perspective of my future too. I’ll leave Clemson with a marketing degree, and this has allowed me to keep other avenues open. I have also learned how to consistently work for something and to channel free time towards a constructive goal. I like working for something bigger.

How has being in pageants impacted your life as a Clemson student?

Being in pageants has settled me into a routine and strengthened my drive for success.  Taking my upper level of marketing courses last semester while also preparing for Miss South Carolina made me make good use of my time. When I’m on campus, I know that I need to focus on my studies. It has improved my grades too, and last semester, I made the Dean’s List for the first time. I hope that I can embody a good Clemson student in that respect. I make school a priority while also reaching beyond my community.

What do you wish people knew about pageants?

I wish people realized that I compete with the Miss America Scholarship Organization. That is the full title. They encourage, promote, and support women pursuing their degrees, and they are the largest contributor to scholarships for women.

One big misconception that I think people have towards women in pageants is that we are all conceited. I can tell you, however, that this is not true. It is truly not all about the hair, makeup, and clothes. We do not always look stage ready either. In class especially, I do not look how someone would think a “pageant girl” would look. When I go to class, I’m there to learn, and that is what I choose to focus on.

What is the greatest piece of advice you have been given?

This may sound cliché, but the biggest piece of advice I’ve been given is to just be yourself. And whether this relates to pageants or school, I think if you aren’t truly genuine, it shows. Sometimes at pageants, some girls think they have to act a certain way. This shows especially in interview with some answers being carefully constructed responses that seem forced. I think it’s better to let the answer come from you because after all that’s what you answer should do.

My favorite quote is “Dance to express, not to impress.” It relates to my dancing as well as pageants. Yes, you are trying to impress the judges. However, it’s also about showing yourself and what you’ve accomplished on stage. The whole process is a you-based experience in the sense that it is your journey, story, and voice that comes across to the judges. You must present and express yourself in a positive light. Because you are a public figure, you are pushed to remember yourself and your actions. You always want to make sure you carry yourself well.

Follow Laura’s journey to Miss North Carolina!

Facebook: Miss Randolph County 2017

Instagram: missrandolphcounty2017

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19