Janay Crosland ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Janay Crosland

Class of May 2018

Early Childhood Education Major

Campus leadership: Clemson House Resident Assistant, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated Member, Clemson University Undergraduate Senator, W.E.B DuBois Fellow  NASPA Undergraduate Fellow, Clemson Civics & Service House Executive Board Member

What has been your proudest accomplishment in your sophomore year thus far?

“My most rewarding accomplishment this semester was joining Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated. It has been a lifelong dream to join. I gained 21 lovely sisters that I hold near and dear to my heart. I look forward to Clemson getting to know the Lambda Theta Chapter.”

What is your favorite part about being a Resident Assistant?

“Forming lifelong friendships with my residents. Serving as an advocate, support system and cheerleader.”

Why did you choose Clemson?

“As a minority, I wanted to be the change I desired to see on campus. I realized that I could contribute to Clemson’s campus climate by joining the community and working towards increasing awareness about diversity and implementing progressive initiatives to propel change.”

What’s your favorite spot on campus?

“ My favorite spot on campus is the Senate Chambers. I really enjoy interacting with fellow senators and having intellectual conversations about current issues on our campus and brainstorming about possible solutions.”

Who is someone you look up to on campus?

“Ms. Alesia Smith, the director of the Office of Community and Ethical Standards. She sets a high standard in professionalism and handling matters. She is a role model to myself and others the way she can gracefully manage a room and situations. She is also approachable and makes herself available to students though she has a demanding position and schedule.”

What is an interesting fact about you?

“I have a fear of mascots, heights and dogs.”

Former Clemson Student Affairs Graduate Student and Clemson House Graduate Community Director. San Juan bred, Atlanta raised me.
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!