I’m in a Long Distance Relationship and it Doesn’t Suck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.
Long distance relationships. Yup, the dreaded topic among those leaving home or those 

realizing they’re graduating soon. Well unlucky for me, I have been in a long distance 

relationship with my current boyfriend for three years. We’re not your typical high school sweet 

heart turned long distance with college. We’re actually anything but typical. He lives in Virginia 

and currently goes to school in Virginia, I live in New Jersey and obviously go to school in 

South Carolina. 

Freshman year I attended a small university in Fredericksburg, Virginia. On move in day, 

I met the guy of my dreams. Now I was never a believer of “love at first sight” or any of that 

corny stuff so for me, this was a real eye opening experience. My roommate and I were sitting in 

our room awkwardly getting to know each other like any freshman roommates do. We happened 

to have our door open when two boys, we lived on a co-ed hall, walked by our room. I stupidly 

screamed at them asking them if they lived on our hall. Little did I know that this would be the 

moment that changed my life forever. There he was, tall, slightly tan from the summer, muscular 

with dark hair and dark eyes. *insert drooling emoji* 

As odd as it sounds and trust me, I felt even odder, I knew that I had found the person I 

was destined to marry…the first day of move in freshman year. Naïve and crazy? Maybe, but I 

did not care. I knew what I wanted and I was going to get it. I sheepishly gave him my number 

and patiently waited for a text. One came not too long after that inviting me to go out with him 

and his friends. This too was another night that would change my life but it a different way, I met 

my absolute best friend that night. 

As any freshman guy can attest, he’s not looking for a relationship and at this point, I’m 

not sure I was either. We continued to hang out, A LOT, talked all the time about his ex and all 

that fun stuff. Then November came and he asked me to be his girlfriend. Now the real fun starts, 

by this point I had realized I was not enjoying my time at this university. I had great friends and 

now a great boyfriend but something was missing so with the help of my parents I started 

exploring my options…which in December brought me an acceptance from Clemson. 

When I told my boyfriend, he was initially pissed. Likely and most obvious reaction. However,

spring semester came and he too was thinking about transferring. We got excited to think 

that maybe we could transfer to the same school and still date. Reality clicked in when he chose 

to attend another university in Virginia. We had “the talk,” the dreaded talk that no couple ever 

wants to have to go through, but we didn’t have much of a choice. 

To my surprise he had not even thought about us breaking up. This made me happy but 

also scared to not know what the future held for us. Yet, here we are, three years later happier 

and stronger than ever. This has not been easy but any means, nor has it always been happy. We 

went through a lot of really rough patches but got each other through them. Now as we’re both 

graduating, we can see the light at the end of this VERY LONG tunnel and we could not be 

happier. Neither of us knows what the future hold for us but after this, we know we can get 

through it together. 

If I have any advice for couples who are struggling in a long distance relationship, it’s to 

not give up hope. When it feels like it’s too hard, think back to a time when you were happy and 

together. My room, phone and laptop are full of pictures of us as a daily reminder that my life is 

better with him in it. Use Skype and Facetime and definitely make the time to talk.  Video chatting is literally a life saver.

Even when I have the busiest days, I’ll call him during a dinner/lunch break just to say hi. That, honestly, goes 

a long way. The other HUGE part of a long distance relationship is trust. This is arguably the 

hardest thing. You guys probably don’t know each others friends or who he/she is hanging out 

with. I know I didn’t and I was the most jealous, stressed out girlfriend ever for about a year. 

Then I realized that he loves ME, not any of the girls he hangs out with at school. You have to 

trust that your significant other is being truthful to you, even when the truth hurts. So, 

HerCampus readers, if I can do it, so can you! Each day gets better knowing you’re closer and 

closer to being with the one you love again.
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!