timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

If You Are Single On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Ah, Valentine’s Day: the nightmare of single people.

Every one of us has gone through it; watching your best friend with their adorable significant other exchange heartfelt, sentimental gifts, while you look at the sympathy chocolate your mom bought for you so you would at least get something on Valentine’s Day (Not that the sympathy chocolate is bad. Chocolate can’t ever be bad. Thanks for always getting that for me, Mom!). Being single on Valentine’s Day often serves as a blaring reminder of your singleness. In the words of the philosopher Hunter Hayes, during this time of year, it seems like “everybody’s got somebody but me.”

If you are single this Valentine’s Day, don’t fret: you are not alone. To be completely honest, I have never had a Valentine! *cue the world’s smallest violin* So, it is safe to say, I have had a very rocky relationship with Valentine’s Day. Mainly, like most perpetually single people, I just hate it. However, this year I have resolved to change my attitude, and here is why.

“Love” in American culture is always thought of as the equivalent to romance. It’s Heath Ledger singing Can’t Keep My Eyes Off Of You in front of the entire school to Julia Stiles. It is Jack and Rose fighting for each other. It is Troy and Gabriella dancing in High School Musical 3, because, come on, it is every girl’s dream to have Zac Efron show up at college to dance with you because he missed your prom.

But Love is so much more than all of that. We forget that Love is a choice, a decision to put someone else before yourself. It’s finding kinship and compassion in relationship with others. It is Lilo and Stitch coming together to find their own family. It’s the Gilmore Girls supporting each other through thick and thin. It is Phoebe, Ross, Chandler, Rachel, Monica, and Joey having the greatest group of friends to ever exist.

When we talk about Love, we often forget that Love doesn’t have to be romantic. Some of the strongest Love is between family, and friends, and the people who we have chosen to go through life with.

For me, Valentine’s Day is always a reminder. I don’t tell people that I love them enough. My best friend and family hear it almost every day, but there are a lot of people who miss out on that.  Telling people that you love them can be hard! It requires vulnerability, and the willingness to step out first and say, “hey, I know this might be weird for you, but you’re important to me and I want you to know I love you and I’m here for you.”

Looking at the recent events going on across the world, it is so clear that we need to spread as much Love as we can.

If you are single this Valentine’s Day, or even if you are not, use this designated holiday to remind your friends and family that you love them, too. Use it as an excuse to tell people how much they mean to you. Spoil your loved ones a little bit on this day, because everyone appreciates feeling loved and valued.

It all starts with you. You’ll be surprised how quickly people respond and reciprocate Love. It only takes a little bit of courage, a couple seconds, and a smile to make someone feel special.

If you’re a little nervous about it, it’s okay. I’ll go first.

To those I Love:

To my Roomie: I tell you all the time, but I love you! I feel lucky every day to live with you and be able to experience college with you. I could not have asked for a better roommate, but more importantly, I could not have asked for a better friend.

To my best friends: You know exactly who you are. I can talk to you about anything. We have held each other together through so many different situations, and it is so comforting to know we will always be there for each other. I love you so much.

To the Hazantourage: Ya’ll are some of my favorite people. We don’t talk all the time, but the friendships grown through years of swimming and trips to the beach are precious to me. I don’t tell you all often, but I love you guys. Ohana all the way.

To The Pack: It still is crazy to me how 4 people could become so close in so little time. I am so thankful we all have met. You guys are making my college experience. Without ya’ll, I know I wouldn’t enjoy Clemson as much as I do. I love you guys. You are my home away from home.

To my family: You guys rock. I am continually blown away by your love and support through the trials I face. I am so proud to be related to you guys. I love you more than I know how to express.

So this Valentine’s Day, spread the love. If you’re in a relationship, love your partner as best you can. Let them know why you love them, and show them how much they mean to you. If you’re single, love your friends. Show them how much you care. Love your family and appreciate all they do for you. Help spread the love you have received to bless other people, too.

(And to those reading this: thank you. I love you guys, too. xoxo)

Clemson University Her Campus Senior Editor
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19