General Hero Images v2?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
General Hero Images v2?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Danielle Dullo / Original Illustration by Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

I Tried Package-Free Shampoo So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

I went ahead and spent my precious coin on a package-free shampoo! The Lorax would be so proud of me! I couldn’t resist. I’d been considering it for a long time but have always been hesitant because of my hair type. 

A post shared by Niara Hargrave (@niara_h) on

My curly hair ranges from 4B to 4A in some places because a consistent hair pattern would be too easy for me to deal with! I had been researching low-waste alternatives, and I knew that Lush had a wide variety of package-free hair care items.

A post shared by Lush Cosmetics North America (@lushcosmetics) on

But, I wasn’t convinced until I stumbled on this video review. The Avocado Co-Wash bar caught my attention. If you are familiar with the natural hair world, you understand that co-washing is an important aspect of a lot of people’s routine. The review I saw made it out to be a product that would be moisturizing enough for my dry hair. And honestly the use of that keyword, “Co-Wash” made me feel that Lush might have involved some people that know what they’re doing. 

I ordered the smallest bar size (3.5 oz for $15) to try it out, and I wasn’t disappointed. The wash bar came in all-recyclable packaging (even the packing peanuts were compostable)! I was nervous when ordering the bar because I am seemingly one of the last living souls that doesn’t like avocado. But I didn’t buy it to eat it, so I knew it would be fine. I was pleasantly surprised that the bar had a fragrant cider-type smell. 

You don’t wanna rub the bar directly on your hair but rather lather it in your hands and then work it into your hair. It takes a second to find a technique you like, but it’s worth it. This has become a favorite of mine. All I need to do is find a package-free clarifying shampoo and conditioner, and I’ll be set for a package-free wash day. 

If you’re interested in environmentally friendly beauty products, check out Lush’s Shampoo Bars and Naked Shower Gels! If you aren’t looking to spend that much money, don’t worry! There are plenty of other low =-waste options on the market. What better time than now to try them out? If it’s a total disaster, at least no one will have to see it! 

If you wanna learn more about package free everything and making more lifestyle changes, check out Package Free.

Niara is a Marketing major with a minor in Brand Communications and Business Writing. She's from Columbia, South Carolina and spends most of her free time arguing with her twin sister and daydreaming.
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).