How to Hit the Ground Running This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

One of my favorite parts of starting the semester is the chance to reorganize and 

refocus myself. I had a chance to relax over the break and to think about what I want 

to get out of the semester. I reviewed the past semester and determined what 

changes I would like to make. I anxiously awaited the chance to put these changes 

into action as I pack my bags to head back to school. So I’d like to share with you my 

tips on how to hit the ground running this semester and to get the most out of this 

semester. 

Set goals.

I don’t care whether you believe in New Year’s resolutions or not. There is 

something empowering and inspiring about setting and defining goals. After a 

relaxing break where you can focus on yourself, you want to recommit yourself to 

taking care of your body, mind, and spirit. It doesn’t matter whether you want to 

lose 10 pounds, to earn that 4.0, or to journal/blog everyday. I suggest you clearly 

map out what you want to accomplish and WRITE IT DOWN! Studies show that 

writing down goals helps you to accomplish them. Does the thought of semester 

goals seem too intimating? You can always write out your goals by month or by day. 

Breaking up your goals into smaller steps can even help you accomplish the goals 

healthy-new-years-resolutions/ 

quicker! Lastly, to make sure you accomplish everything you want this semester, 

write out a semester to-do list. By to-do list I mean a list of completely not school-

related, fun-filled adventures you want to complete this semester (like weekend 

trips to go on, restaurants to taste test, outdoor adventures to try, etc.)

Clean your dorm.

The very last thing I had to do before leaving campus for the 

break was to clean my dorm room. I stored by the semester’s notebooks in my 

storage containers for reference next semester. My friend helped me vacuum every 

square inch of floor space. I went through my desk drawers and cleaned the sink 

area. All my dishes were washed and put away. My bed sheets were washed, and I 

made my bed to perfection. I sprayed Lysol over everything before locking up my 

room and leaving for break. So you didn’t clean your dorm before break? No 

worries! The beginning of the semester is the perfect time to clean up your living 

space and perhaps, rearrange your furniture for the coming weeks. It’ll give you a 

fresh start for the new semester. 

Put up an inspiration wall.

We all like to meet our goals, and even the most well 

crafted plan can falter when we lack motivation. So after cleaning your dorm room 

and de-cluttering your life, put up a motivation wall. I love quotes, pictures, and 

inspiration messages. They help to keep me motivated and excited to reach my 

goals. It’s the perfect way to express your wants and wishes in life. With the start of 

the semester, you can welcome the fresh start with a new, vibrant view of life.

Buy new supplies.

Those half-used notebooks and broken pencils from last 

semester aren’t going to cut it when you’re busy being productive and fabulous. 

Pitch any notebooks you no longer need. Hit up Walmart for fresh supplies that will 

keep you organized. My favorite supplies include new highlighters, pens, notebooks, 

and of course, a planner (it’s my absolute must-have in college). You need supplies 

in order to make this semester a success. Bonus points if you can find a new study 

spot that will keep you focused!

Review courses.

Before classes resume, take time to review your course schedule. 

This allows you to make sure that you are covering your major’s required classes 

and to make any time changes if course sections have opened. Staying up-to-date on 

your schedule allows you to have the most control over classes, times, and 

professors. In addition, to ensure that you know where your English literature class 

meets, you will need to double-check the locations of every class. Make sure you are 

familiar with the building by perhaps walking through your schedule before classes 

start back. Go online and read up to have an idea on what to expect from the course 

and the professor. If it is available, go ahead and print off the course’s syllabus and 

begin to familiarize yourself with important dates and assignments. You’ll feel 

better prepared when you sit through the first lecture.

Organize your planner.

My absolute favorite school-related thing EVER! I may be a 

slight nerd in my love for my planner. It’s color-coded by course, includes 

checkboxes, and organizes my weekly goals. It beautiful! With a new semester 

means I must assign different colors to my course and familiarize myself with my 

daily class schedule. Any and all important dates must be entered and highlighted in 

my planner. This semester I’ll be trying out this new assignment planner from one of 

my favorite college bloggers to keep up with assignments among my different 

courses. If you don’t utilize a planner, I highly suggest buying one. Everyone is 

different, so everyone will organize her planner differently. It may take a couple of 

weeks to determine what works best for you. However, the beginning of the 

semester will seem 10x less overwhelming if you write it all down. A simple daily to-

do list will make your life so much easier as you navigate the new semester. 

Create a routine.

In order to tackle everything and anything this semester, you will 

need to prioritize and make good use of your time. One of my plans this semester is 

to take my class schedule and delegate blocks of time to accomplish my different 

goals. I find it’s much easier to workout at Fike or to study at Cooper Library if I’ve 

set aside time to do so. It also holds me accountable to my schedule and makes sure 

I have plenty of time to get everything done. Even though I enjoy sleeping-in, I’m 

going to try being more of a morning person this semester (emphasis of the 

try…that’s the important thing). Morning people tend to get more work done in the 

day anyway. I found myself wasting a lot of time this semester on unimportant 

things and not managing my time as well as I could. Productivity is key, and it will 

help you follow your routine. Hopefully, a routine will relieve some of the day-to-

day stresses of college as you use your time more wisely. 

Be open to new friends and experiences.

Do you feel like your social circle is at a 

standstill? Often times, the end of semester means we’ve settled into the 

comfortable. We’re exhausted, so we resort to living in the familiar. However, 

college is all about branching out and going on new adventures. So, get out of your 

dorm! Pretend it’s the first week of freshmen year and go meet people. No matter 

how outgoing you are, there are always people on campus you don’t know. Your 

network will grow, and you now have the opportunity to make lifelong connections 

with new people. Meanwhile, I suggest also seeking out new experiences and go on 

adventures. College is the time in your life to try new things. Campus clubs and 

organizations offer a wide range of activities, events, and trips (usually at 

discounted prices) to get college kids involved. So get out of your comfort zone and 

try something new!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!