How To Get Back On Your Feet After Setbacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Going into college, I had several expectations of what my first semester would be like, and every single one of them was wrong. My first semester was something that I could not have expected. I knew it would be different than high school and living at home, but I really did not know just how different it was. At the beginning of my first semester, I had my fair share of setbacks. My friends even claimed that I got hit with a proverbial “unlucky stick” over and over. To name a few things that didn’t go my way: I got cut from 8 sororities in the first round of recruitment, I failed my first chemistry test, and got my first speeding ticket all within the first month of school. Now, I am not writing to complain about my problems (which I know are trivial to some); I am writing this article to show that it’s okay to struggle.

After all of these setbacks, I got into a serious slump. I had thoughts of dropping out, transferring, and plainly giving up. My parents and friends encouraged me to keep going and really think about what the best step was to make a change in my life, but I could not shake the feeling of being inadequate, that other people were more gifted than me, and that I was not equipped for the profession I previously saw myself in. I began to shut people out and alienate myself from people who earnestly wanted to be my friends. No one could convince me that Clemson was the right place for me and Biochemistry was the right degree for me. It wasn’t until I finally decided that I was going to make the best of my year at Clemson and opened up to the people that were trying to befriend me that I enjoyed myself and felt that Clemson was home.

However, there are a few things that I wish I would have done long before to help me get back to the right state of mind. Over the summer I saw something on social media that I think is a great idea and I am going to pursue it this semester. A contestant at Miss Teen USA had a motivation journal filled with her favorite quotes, inspirational sayings, and photos to keep her going through the competition. I think this is a great idea because it’s a tangible reminder to continue moving forward even when times are tough. If I had this during my first semester, I think it may have helped me feel better in the midst of the chaos that was my life.

Another thing I wish I would have done is stick to a workout routine. I know tons of people talk about this but working out really does clear your mind and make you feel better both physically and mentally. Personally, working out gives me a better outlook on life. I feel that if I am doing something good for myself, then other good things will happen to me. It may be cliché but it helps me and it may help someone else. So, during this next semester, fitness is going to be one of my top priorities.

Lastly, I am going to remember that I have a purpose. I was placed at Clemson to become a better person and gain the knowledge that is required to serve others in the medical field. During finals week, I saw a video that really changed my outlook. Basically, the video explained that my degree is not just a vehicle to my own personal success. My degree is equipping me to be able to serve others to the best of my ability, and that thought encourages me to continue pushing through the most difficult times because serving others is my purpose.

My name is Katherine Hulsey and I am a freshman at Clemson University. I am a Biochemistry major with a minor in Business Administration. I am a tennis player, pageant junkie, and overall girly girl. I march to the beat of my own drum and am enjoying this crazy ride called college and I can't wait to see where it takes me!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19