This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Throughout your life, you’ll meet people with all sorts of different backgrounds, talents, skills and personalities. Specifically, in college, you could meet people who could become lifelong friends of yours. How do you maintain and improve those relationships, though? As a friendship builds and develops, individuals mature and experience different things, which can affect the way they interact with others. Here are some ways you could be a good friend:

Don’t be judgemental. 

It’s one thing to be honest with your friends, but it’s another thing to be judgmental and hurtful. In most instances, people go to their friends to ask for advice or to share a situation that’s bothering them. It’s important to note that people process, react, and feel differently about certain things than others. Nothing can hurt someone more than being judged by someone they call a friend. A friend should be someone you can call when you’re in a bad situation and someone who won’t see you any differently.

Support your friend(s)!

As a college student, there are some things I simply don’t want to discuss with my parents. For example, I had a tough Psychology exam the other day, and I didn’t know if I felt prepared enough. So, I texted my friend who encouraged me and assured me I would do well. Knowing that I had her support made me feel a lot better about my situation. There are times in our lives as young women where we go through unimaginable heartbreaks, never-ending semesters, and tubs of Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream. Having someone by our side to support and be there for us is essential and is easy! You should be present and attentive because you want to be, not because your friend asked you to.

Listen.

Communication is often known as the “#1” key to a healthy relationship. However, I think listening is even more important. You can communicate all day with someone, whether it’s over the phone or face-to-face. Yet, were you actually listening to and understanding what the person says? More than likely, you weren’t. A part of being a good friend includes being able to recognize, accept and respect what your friends have to say. It’s not about just sitting there and hearing what they’re talking about. It’s about listening and understanding.

Be selfless. 

A friend should be someone who doesn’t let their ego ruin their friendship. Having pride can eat at a relationship and tear it apart. Remember that friendship is not a competition; it’s soul-on-soul connectivity that fosters an environment for you to grow within. Be accommodating and don’t cross any boundaries with your friends.

Be spontaneous. 

Help your friends step out of their comfort zone while keeping their limitations in mind. One of my best friends always helps me think of new ways to get involved on campus, and another friend encouraged me to go scuba diving, which has become a big part of my life! You should only want the best for your friends and be determined to show your love and care every day.

Ashleigh is a junior at Clemson University studying English and Brand Communication. She has hopes of writing for a magazine post-college. You can find her at the beach, chipotle, or in Death, Valley Stadium watching Clemson football!