Five Rules for Your Next Girl’s Night Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

A girls’ night out in college can be such a thrill! You get to be around your best friends all night and have a fun time together. As you celebrate this fall semester, here are a few important rules that you and your gal pals should try to stick to during GNO to make sure everyone is safe.

Don’t take a drink from anyone.

This includes any open drinks, especially punch bowls or anything being passed around. Bring your own drinks to any events or parties, and make sure that you are keeping an eye on your drink the entire time. Take it to the bathroom with you or throw it away. Drinks at parties can easily be spiked with dangerous date rape drugs that will turn your night upside down and put you and your friends in danger.

Have a buddy system.

Go with the same girls and leave with the same girls. It’s important to keep an eye on your friends at all times to make sure everyone is safe and in the same place. It’s fine to mingle, but I suggest having your girl gang text in a group chat every 15 minutes or so and provide their current location. This is a super-easy way to be able to meet new people, have fun and keep your girls safe.

Have a plan.

It’s no fun when half of the girls are miserable and half of them are living their best life at a party. Make sure that everyone has a ride to the event and back home, or agree on taking an Uber or Lyft. Arrange a set time when you are all leaving the event and have a meeting spot so nobody gets lost or confused. Don’t rely on strangers you met that night to give you a ride home! I always make sure I have a plan with the girls I am going out with before we leave the house.

Stick to your limits.

Don’t drink more than you can handle. Nobody wants to have to drag you out of a party, and you don’t want to end up in the hospital. There are online resources that can tell you how much your body can handle in a short time according to your age and weight. However, you can tell when enough is enough. A college party isn’t a time to show off how fast you can drink a bottle of alcohol. Everyone needs to be functioning during and after the party. This avoids infractions and potentially dangerous situations and ensures that everyone is able to communicate efficiently.

Dress for the occasion.

Wear something cute but comfortable. In many big parties, it can get hot and sweaty, and there will most likely be a lot of people around you at once. You want to be able to move freely! It’s not a good idea to bring that Michael Kors purse or that North Face jacket with you. It will most likely get lost if you set it down somewhere, and you don’t want to carry it around all night. Personally, I think Five Below has a great selection of ID holders and phone holders. I have one that is able to hold my ID card, car keys, phone and room key. Some even have a zipper compartment to hold small items. These all easily fit in your front pocket and help reduce your risk of losing any of those important items.

Ashleigh is a junior at Clemson University studying English and Brand Communication. She has hopes of writing for a magazine post-college. You can find her at the beach, chipotle, or in Death, Valley Stadium watching Clemson football!
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).