rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Emotional Intelligence As Explained By Drake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Intelligence, it’s a trait that we don’t necessarily associate with our emotions. However, as connected to our intelligence is our capability to think critically, so is our ability to monitor our feelings.

Ask yourself: Are you able to comprehend and understand the power and meaning of your emotions? Are you aware and able to acknowledge how others feel?

If you answered yes to either of these questions, you might have high emotional intelligence. Being able to control and use your emotions to your advantage is an important skill that can be hard to master. So, here are a few tips to reign in those emotions if somethings, “Got you in your feelings,” according to Drake’s songs.

1. God’s Plan

“Imagine if I never met the broskies.”

We all question from time to time why something did not work out for us. Whether it be a job you didn’t get, a relationship that didn’t work out, or a personal disappointment, it’s hard to put into perspective the disappointment in the moment. However, it’s important to turn your current pain into a growing experience. As Drake says, “Imagine if I never met the broskies?”. Sometimes situations are a blessing in disguise and lead us to a better situation in the future. So, take your distressing emotions and let go of your mistakes or disappointments. Don’t hold a grudge if someone did you wrong. Instead, move on and put into perspective that there is a greater plan waiting for you.

2. Take Care

“I’ll be there for you, I will care for you.”

“Take Care” of yourself. One of the most important ways to monitor your feelings is to prioritize yourself. Take a step away, disconnect, and do what is best for you. Being able to say no and realize how much you can handle is essential to maintaining a healthy balance of your responsibilities. With this, being able to halt any toxic feelings of negative self-talk, comparison, and a need for perfection is essential to caring for your overall well-being.

3. Know Yourself

“I’ve always been me, I guess I know myself.”

If you are going to be effective in managing your emotions, it’s important to “Know Yourself.” Take note of what your strengths and weaknesses are. Ask yourself how can you use your strengths to your advantage. What areas need work and what can you do to improve upon them? Taking a mental inventory of yourself can help build a better foundation in times where your emotions feel out of control. For instance, if you know you get stressed out easily, be conscious of the situations that cause the stress and act accordingly to lower the impact.

4. Blessings

“I’m way up, I feel blessed.”

People with high emotional intelligence are appreciative! They recognize the good in their lives and are appreciative of every stage and version of themselves.  If you are feeling low, an important practice to incorporate is to take stock of all the things you love in your life and acknowledge what you are thankful for. Not letting anything limit your happiness and being able to realize that you alone control your joy is the first step in taking control of your emotions.  Ultimately, the power is in your hands!

Kelly Cherry

Clemson '21

I'm a junior Marketing and Communications double major at Clemson University. I'm involved as a member of Delta Zeta sorority, Delta Sigma Pi Business Fraternity, and Calhoun Honors College. I love to journal, do yoga, travel, eat lots of Mexican food and I am constantly on the quest for the best acai bowl. Through my writing I hope to inspire and connect with other college students!
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.