Dump That Paper Planner and Upgrade Your Tech

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

It’s 2017. Men have walked on the moon. Oreos have been deep-fried. Taylor Swift can’t even come to the phone right now. It’s a wild time, but how are you enjoying it when you’re lugging that bulky paper planner?  What happens when you lose it? All that hard work is gone! You’re hurting your back and cramping your style, and you deserve more.

Listen, as your friend, I need to tell you that it’s time you dump your paper planner and upgrade. But this isn’t a sad break-up. No, this is your kick-ass breakup because you’re a strong, independent woman who needs more than your paper planner can give you. An online planner saves money, trees and your precious time. Now, let’s find the man- er, planner of your dreams.

Google Calendar

Perk One: Portable AF

Google Calendar is ridiculously portable. Download the app and it’s on your phone, your iPad or whatever floats your boat. It’s easily accessed on your laptop and, if you’re still a paper person, you can print it out at any time.

Perk Two: Super Easy to Change

Forget white out! You need to change something? Just press “edit your event” and change it to your heart’s content. Maybe you dropped that class or quit that club and now you don’t want to see the repeating event. Instead of going through your paper calendar, just delete the whole thing and you’re done. It’s that easy.

Perk Three: Multiple Calendars

Google Calendar gives you the ability to make multiple calendars and it’s game-changing. Every semester, I give each class it’s own calendar, so when I need to know when my Bio test is, I don’t have to comb through my entire calendar. I just select my Bio calendar and I can see everything for that class. When I don’t want to see my daily routine on the calendar, I just de-select it and enjoy my minimalism without forgetting anything. Plus, it makes color-coding so easy because each calendar gets a unique color!

Perk Four: Sharable!

Google is built for collaboration, so naturally, their calendar is easily sharable. Tired of constantly texting that one group member to tell them when you’re busy? Just get their email and share that baby! But don’t worry. You don’t have to share everything. You can selectively give access to certain calendars and revoke access later.

Perk Five: So Much Customization

The world is your oyster when it comes to Google Calendar. You can change the color scheme, the viewability of each calendar and even how much you see at a time. Work better from agendas? Do it. Need to see the whole month to get a good view of your time management? Super easy. Maybe you go hour by hour so you need more detail? Just press a button.

My Study Life

Perk One: Designed for Students

When something is made just for your needs, it makes everything easier, and easier is definitely something a busy collegiate needs. You can easily add your classes, exam times and homework. Plus, you can even add your school holidays. It’s perfect for getting you on track.

Perk Two: Multiple Platforms

The convenience of an online calendar is only as convenient as its platform and My Study Life has you covered. It goes to your iPhone, your Android, your windows computer and your chrome browser. Instead of having to pull out your calendar or search for the one access point, you’re surrounded by options and every platform syncs so you never miss a beat.

Perk Three: Works Offline

Tragedy strikes. The internet is gone and you’re so dependent on your online planner that you’re lost. This seems like a time where a paper planner is superior. Well, think again! My Study Life works offline and syncs when you go back online so you’re always covered.

Perk Four: Reminders!

Everybody has forgotten an assignment at some point and as you’re scrambling to finish the assignment before the midnight deadline, you’re wishing you’d checked your calendar more often. Well relax because My Study Life gives you reminders about assignments, classes and exams.

Perk Five: Rotation Schedules

Having a rotating schedule makes it even harder to get organized, so My Study Life added the rotating schedule feature. Instead of going through online characters and programming exceptions, this easily understands your schedule.

Don’t let your paper planner hold you back. Throw that planner in the recycling bin!

Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19