Dana Buskovitz: Sharing Clemson One Tour At a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

It’s hard to find a more enthusiastic and spirited person than Dana Buskovitz. As a Clemson tour guide, she brings charisma to every tour and draws families in as they experience Clemson for the first time. Her enthusiasm is what makes her an amazing tour guide, and her passion for everything she is involved in is what makes her an even more amazing individual.

Just a girl and her dog. #PuppyLove

1. So, tell us a little about yourself!

I am a Junior Conservation Biology major. My original hometown is Mayfield PA, which is a little town just outside of Scranton (yay for The Office). However, my Mom now lives in Travelers Rest, SC, which is just outside of Greenville (and right down the road)! I guess she just couldn’t be away from her little girl, since she is my absolute best friend. I love food and dogs. Specifically my own, Maxwell, and (mostly) all food #IAintGotNoType. My hobbies include anything outside- hiking being my favorite, cooking, quoting movies, Netflix (Friends, HIMYM, Bob’s Burgers, New Girl; most importantly- FRIENDS), playing with my dog, and more recently: playing on the CUGA Flag Football Team!   

2. What made you want to become a tour guide?

Looking at schools is a tough decision, especially at the age that students are touring. In the end, it usually comes down to about two or three schools that students must make a decision from. Chances are, those schools all have the same things to offer- great academics, good professors, maybe a nice sports program, or great student life. So what is that one thing, that one factor that will put one school over the top for that student? For me, that “one thing” was two things. Two things that Clemson could give me that no other school could offer, and two things that you can’t find a statistic for or a record of. Those things were a home and a family. Clemson became a place where I was comfortable, and felt like I could grow to my fullest potential. I also got a new, massive, 22,000+ member family. Thats is why I became a tour guide- to show students those aspect of Clemson, along with all the others.

3. As a Clemson tour guide, you are directly influencing potential students’ decision to come to school here. That’s an amazing responsibility! Do you ever get nervous?

DO I?! All of the time. Nervous in a good way though, honestly. For a good number of prospective students and families, the tour is their first and only interaction with Clemson, and therefore crucial in the decision making process. I want to show them everything, and give the best impression possible. I get nervous sometimes thinking “Wow, in a year or two some of these students could be my classmates.” That is crazy to me that those students could become Tigers and I would get to see them on Library Bridge or something.

4. Did you have a good tour experience when looking at Clemson?

I came to tour just before Spring Break. There were not very many students on campus, and admittedly the weather was not the best, but it really did not seem to matter. This place speaks for itself – it is STUNNING! My tour was exceptional, and the guide did a great job. So much so that I wanted to move 800 miles away for Clemson. It was cool to meet him when I became a guide myself!

I stayed here in Clemon over the summer to give tours and work at the Visitors Center. We gave over 600 tours this summer alone! These are the ~summer ladies of the VC~ PS look @ how beautiful campus is?!

5. It must be difficult to squeeze so many awesome things about Clemson into about two hours. What do you hope more than anything people take away from your tours?

The biggest thing I want people to take away from my tours is that Clemson cares about the students here. Sometimes being at a bigger school, you can start to feel like a number, or a face in the crowd. At Clemson, I have never felt that way. I have always felt that I can be impactful here, grow, change, and be heard here. That is what I want prospective students to see.

6. What does it mean to you to be a Clemson tiger?

To me, being a Clemson Tiger means being #AllIn in all aspects of life. Not just on game days for the football team, but for the soccer team, and the volleyball team; for class, exams, research, intramurals, clubs, internships, etc. Putting everything you have and more into something you are passionate about is really at the core of being a Clemson Tiger, in my opinion.

7. What would you like to say to anyone wanting to become a Clemson Tour Guide?

~First~ follow us on instagram @cutourguides and on twitter @CUTourGudies

Second: APPLY APPLY APPLY! We open up the application near the end of spring semester/beginning of summer (at least, this is how it was last year). If you are interested, please apply! Also, biggest piece of advice: be yourself! Be as genuine as possible, and show the real you that you want to show to prospective students.

8. What else are you involved in on campus?

I am a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority, and serve as their Ecological Representative. I am also a member of CUSG, as the Associate Director of Sustainability.

This is my Momma and me. She is my role model and literal BFF.

9. What would you like to pursue in terms of a career?

I have actually figured this one out recently (YAY for adulting!). I want to become a Biology teacher for high school age students.

10. What has been your favorite part of your Clemson experience?

Honestly, being a tour guide. It has helped me grow so much as both a person, and as a Tiger.

What’s cooler than being cool? Ice cold? Almost- being a Clemson Tour Guide. #RushCUGA

Junior Psychology major, English minor // I love hot yoga, mint tea, and waving at dogs // My cat and I are the real life Mia Thermopolis and Fat Louis
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19