Current Student Body President Shannon Kay ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

-Hometown: Gastonia, NC

-Major/year: Senior, Industrial Engineering Major

-Why did you choose Clemson?

Well, a few reasons.  My grandfather graduated from Clemson with a Textile Engineering degree in 1952, so the family aspect of Clemson already meant a lot to me.  Beyond that, Clemson quickly became my favorite college tour out of all the schools I visited.  Everyone I spoke to at Clemson was so genuine and happy, and that feeling really stuck with me.  When I submitted my application, there was no doubt where I wanted to end up.  

-What all are you involved with on campus?

Student Government represents my main involvement on campus, but I am also a member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority and a few honors societies.  Being able to focus on a few organizations instead of many has been great because I do not feel as overwhelmed.  That is something I learned the hard way during sophomore year.

-What is the key to your success?: the way you manage your time- friends, school, jobs, possible relationship, etc.

Time management is a key factor for me.  It took me a while to figure out how much time I needed to devote to school, student government, sleep, and relationships; honestly, I still feel like I am figuring that balance out at times.  Understanding the demands of each week and being realistic about how much I should devote to different things helps to keep me in check!

-Are you Greek? If so, tell us what organization and why you chose that one!

Yes! I am a member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority.  I chose Gamma Phi because I felt as though I could relate to the women in the organization; they seemed down to earth, successful, and charismatic.  After joining, I was excited to see that all of those impressions proved true as many of the older members have mentored me significantly throughout my time at Clemson.

-What is your favorite restaurant in Clemson and why?

Esso Club, hands down!  First off, the meat and three is incredible.  Friday Esso lunches are the best.  But second off, I really enjoy the tradition and inherently “Clemson feel” of the restaurant.  The historic Clemson memorabilia and long-time frequent customers make Esso a unique restaurant.  

Do you have any hidden talents?

I can wiggle my ears?  Does that count?  

-If you had to listen to one artist for the rest of your life who/which would it be?

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say a tie…but It’s a tie between Macklemore and Mumford and Sons.  Both are so clever in their writing.

-Favorite trend right now?

I’m a big fan of Converses coming back.  They’re so comfy and versatile!

Freshman English & Psychology major at Clemson UniversityGamma Phi Beta sorority  
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!