A Collegiette’s Guide to Fitness Classes at Fike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Is it really almost Summer already? This semester has completely flown by and these warm temperatures are totally not helping me focus on these last few weeks of school. Other than it being finals season, this is typically the time of year when people realize that they have to be in a bathing suit in less than a month and they haven’t quite kept up with their New Year’s Resolutions like they wanted. Maybe you never even started your “get fit” plan because Fike is huge and, honestly, a little bit intimidating for first time gym-goers. Or maybe you’re avoiding the gym because you have never done a group exercise class before and are worried that you will embarrass yourself in front of the Fike “regulars”. Whatever your reason, there is still ample time for you to get your bootie to the gym and start losing those pounds that snuck up on you during the one too many late night cookie breaks at Harcombe.

Fike has so much to offer, and their group classes are especially great if you want to work your way into exercising in a fun, motivating way. From Zumba to Pilates, there are so many options that it may be overwhelming which class to choose. This is where I can help- I am going to go through a few of the group fitness classes offered one by one and tell you everything you ever wanted to know but didn’t want to find out for yourself!

1.  Zumba

This class
seems to be one of the most popular classes offered at Fike. The line gets packed about half an hour before class starts so make sure to get there early! I have been attending Zumba every week since I first tried out a class last August and am completely obsessed! I love it so much I just got licensed to be a Zumba Instructor! What is Zumba you ask? Imagine dancing to every song you get down and dirty to at parties but instead of getting creeped on by some random guy, you are getting a great cardio work out instead! It’s really a win-win! And don’t be embarrassed about getting really into it and shaking what you have because trust me, everyone else is too! One of the great things about Zumba is that the intensity level is what you make of it. The instructor will show you the moves and it is up to you to go how hard or fast you want to, and how many calories you want to burn. Photo Credit

Bottom Line: If you love to dance and are searching for a high cardio work out that incorporates that, this 45 minute class is the one for you!!

Times Offered: Monday-Thursday 6:00pm-7:00pm and 7:00pm-8:00pm

2.  Advanced Circuit Training

Are you dying to try out the Insanity or P90x DVD workouts but don’t have $160 extra dollars laying around to spend on them? Then I have the perfect work out for you and guess what? It’s free! Having tried out both Insanity and P90x I can attest that Advanced Circuit Training is as close as you’re going to come to getting that type of intense full body workout at Fike. I started attending this class in January and can tell a huge difference in my overall muscle tone. The class consists of a warm up, two 20 minute sessions of lower body, upper body and abdominal workouts with a break in between and a final cool down. Different equipment is utilized each class to give you a complete body workout such as the aerobic step, the bosu ball, free weights, resistance bands  and mats. Unlike Zumba this class is much more athletic and strenuous rather than a fun dance party but the results and sense of accomplishment you get from finishing a hard strength workout are well worth it!

Bottom Line: If you want a full body workout that incorporates weight training and cardio, go to Advanced Circuit Training!

Times Offered: Tuesday/Thursday 5:00pm-5:45pm

3.  Washboard Abs

Who doesn’t want a trim and toned tummy? This 30 minute class targets what is a major trouble area for most people- your abs. Consisting of a warmup, 20-25 minutes of ab work, and a cool-down Washboard Abs is a quick but effective workout that always leaves me sore the next day. The instructors switch up the exercises each class, sometimes utilizing stability balls, weights and bosu balls or sometimes just the mat. But their chosen techniques will always target your obliques, lower/upper abs and usually include a lower back exercise as well. The instructors motivate you to keep going and the exercises really target all of your core abdominal muscles. You won’t regret this fast but result producing class!

Bottom Line: If you are busy and want to work your abs but don’t have the motivation to do it on your own, come to Washboard Abs!

Times Offered: Mondays 5:00-5:30pm

4.  The standards: Cycling Pilates & Yoga

These classes are very popular and are offered multiple times a week at varying times of the day which make them easy to fit into your own schedule. I have attended each of these classes a handful of times but really enjoyed them when I went! I won’t spend too much time detailing them because most gyms offer these classes and I’m sure if you haven’t attended one yourself you know someone who has.

Cycling:
One of the most cardio-intensive classes you can take at Fike. If you are looking to sweat and get your heart rate up significantly this is the class for you since you are constantly pedaling the stationary bike at varying speeds and levels of intensity. Photo Credit

Pilates: A great core strength and relatively medium impact muscle toning class. Pilates focuses on keeping your “powerhouse” (hip to shoulder area) engaged and working through the series of exercises in a controlled manner. This is a great class for people looking to tone and gain flexibilty but not sweat too much.

Yoga: In my opinion this is one of the best ways to de-stress from our everyday hectic College lives. Yoga unlike any other class offered in it’s meditative and relaxing qualities. Whether you are a beginning or a seasoned “Yogi” the yoga classes offered at Fike are hard enough to get your heart rate up but the flowing movement and peaceful music will bring your focus to your mat and away from the annoyance of final projects and exams that are coming up. Ps: My friends have spotted Tajh Boyd in a few of these classes so you never know who you will run into!

Hopefully this has given you a new insight to a few of the classes offered at Fike and sparked your interest in attending at least one of them! If you want more info, head over to the Fike Website or Fike Fitness Facebook page.

And if you still can’t quite find the motivation to treck over to Fike and try out a class remember there is LESS THAN ONE MONTH left until Summer and *BIKINI SEASON* !!

Paige is a senior at Clemson University majoring in communication studies and minoring in business and technical writing. Hailing from Northern Virginia, she is the campus correspondent and founder of Her Campus Clemson, as well as VP of membership programming for her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, and a contributing writer for The Tiger. She loves writing and photography, and after studying abroad in France this summer, she hopes to someday be a photographer and writer for a travel magazine. She has a strong passion (obsession) for social media, and when she's not tweeting or Facebook stalking, you can find her watching Criminal Minds and Glee, inhaling Chipotle burritos, jamming out to swing music, or shopping for new gameday outfits. GO TIGERS!