Clemson Football Kicker: Chandler Catanzaro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Chandler Catanzaro was any Clemson fan’s favorite person on New Year’s Eve this past year with making the game winning kick against LSU. His name is still spoken with admiration by being able to perform under pressure and clench another ACC win over the SEC. But unknowingly to many people, this senior from Greenville, SC, has a lot more to him and is honestly a really great guy. Her Campus had the opportunity to get to know him a little better, and we all definitely have more of an appreciation for this humble athlete.

Name: Chandler Catanzaro

Major: Biological Sciences

Hometown: Greenville, SC

Year: Senior

Favorite part about Clemson in the spring?

• I love walking on library bridge and seeing the fountains in the reflection pond.

What were you thinking before the kick against LSU?

• I kept thinking that I had to trust in myself. I knew that I had worked hard, practiced hard, and developed a good technique. When it came down to it, I knew I could do it…I just had to get it done. I had to have no fear. Fear keeps you from getting your goal accomplished. My teammates did a great job of putting me in position for that kick, and I knew I couldn’t let them down.

Was Clemson an easy decision for you?

• Coming out of high school, I was deciding between Furman and Clemson. Furman is a great school, and they had offered me a scholarship. It was a tough decision, but I kept praying about it and I felt God continued to guide me towards Clemson. I know I was meant to go here, and I don’t have the slightest regret.

Favorite part about being an athlete at Clemson?

• Having the opportunity to leave a legacy here and to be a part of something bigger than yourself is just awesome. Every athlete at Clemson gets that chance, and I am blessed to be in that position.

Most embarrassing moment at Clemson?

• Missing an extra point against Ball State last year.

Favorite campus spot?

• Death Valley is my favorite spot. It’s where my first and most vivid memories of Clemson come from. That stadium has been such a huge part of my life.

Favorite Clemson restaurant?

• Tokyo

Any secret talents?

• Guitar and Snapchat extraordinaire

Celebrity crush?

• Marissa Miller

Favorite TV Show?

• Prison Break

Who is your idol?

• My mom and dad. They’ve set a tremendous example for me in every part of life. They love me unconditionally and have supported me always.

What is most important to you in life?

• My relationship with God

Celebrity wife?

• Jennifer Aniston

If you were a fruit, which would you be?

• Pineapple. I’m rough on the outside, but sweet on the inside.

Ideal first date?

• A nice, sit-down dinner in downtown Greenville and walking around Falls Park.

Favorite high school memory?

• Making the game winning header in the SC Soccer State Championship game against Lincoln High School my sophomore year.

Plans after Clemson?

– If given the opportunity, my dream is to kick in the NFL someday. If that doesn’t work out, I will pursue med school. This summer, I’ll be working hard on the football field and taking the MCAT.

Photo Credits:

www.11alive.com

Clemson girl through and through