Best Shows to Binge-Watch Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

I know I’m a bit ahead of myself, but who isn’t looking forward to winter break? Obviously, Thanksgiving break is amazing, but if you’re anything like me, you’re super busy with seeing family and friends you haven’t seen in months. There isn’t a lot of time to chill, sleep, and, most-importantly, binge-watch some Netflix. I can’t wait to sit around and do nothing for a few days over winter break and watch some of these shows in full. Here are a few of my top picks to look forward to after finals!

1. Quantico

This one, and the show that’s next on this list, are probably tied for my favorite TV shows. Quantico is a dramatic, exciting show that will keep you thinking in every episode. Try to put different pieces of information together with the FBI and CIA and see if you can keep up with the Quantico crew. With characters you’ll get attached to, you literally can’t keep from clicking “next episode”. It’s such a great show and filming for season three has already started!

2. Scandal

After watching this, I can assure you that you’ll want to be Olivia Pope. She’s probably the most amazing woman to ever be created on TV. This show is so captivating, you’ll absolutely cry at multiple points (I definitely have). This political scandal-based show features a great team to follow and the most interesting storylines. This show is worth watching and I can assure you that you’ll finish six seasons a lot faster than you think. Also, it’s a Shonda Rhimes show, so don’t you love it already?!

3. New Girl

This show definitely takes the cake as my favorite comedy show. There’s no crew more lovable than Jess Day and her roommates. Follow them and their crazy adventures and issues they have every day. “New Girl” is one of the only shows that can make me laugh out loud even if I’m just watching it by myself.

4. Stranger Things

Ok, I’m going to be honest here. I haven’t watched “Stranger Things” yet. I just haven’t had time and also the story line doesn’t entice me as much as some other shows do. But, I told myself I needed to watch this one over break (mostly because one of my professors judged me for not having seen it). It must be good since it has attracted so much attention recently. If you’re like me and are behind on pop culture, watch this one!

5. Skins

Disclaimer: this show is definitely not for everyone. It’s a British show that deals with very real issues in a way that still makes it a great show for teens/young adults. It’s different than a normal “teen/young adult” show because it’s foreign, which some people like and some don’t. I really liked “Skins” and it definitely had an affect on me that not many mainstream shows do. Might as well try it, right? (Side note: I only watched Generation One because this season had the best storyline and characters in my opinion.)

6. The Fosters

Even I can admit that this show might be a little over-dramatic, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing! “The Fosters” follows a family brought together through adoption. It’s a heart-warming show but also has a ton of exciting drama. This is another show that deals with real issues and is definitely worth the watch.

7. Riverdale

I was against watching “Riverdale” for while. I didn’t want to be ~mainstream~. But, I finally caved and I’m glad I did. If you were like me and didn’t watch “Riverdale”, you should! It’s another one that’s a little over-dramatic, but the first season has a very interesting storyline and extremely lovable characters. I haven’t seen any of the second season yet, so I can’t speak about that, but the first season is definitely worth the quick watch!

8. Parenthood

I’ve been told I’m an old soul, so maybe that’s why I liked this show so much. Usually a show steered towards parents (hence the name), this show follows a few families who each face their own, very real issues. The drama in this show is so real and believable and so are the heartwarming aspects of it. Great show to watch by yourself or as a family!

9. 90210

This is the final one I’ll admit is over-dramatic. I watched this show when I was pretty young and then again when I was older and still loved it. The drama in “90210” is fun to follow and you’ll grow to really love the crew it follows. This is a great show to watch if you want to relax with something that you don’t have to follow every moment but has more of a story than a comedy. “90210” is the perfect, happy medium!

10. About A Boy

If you want to smile, this one’s for you. “About a Boy” is probably the cutest show I’ve seen and it’s a super quick watch. The funny stories of a young boy, his mother, and his neighbor never fail to disappoint in every episode. This show isn’t super popular and may get looked over a bit, but such a good show to watch this break!

Jess Engel is a freshman at Clemson University. Originally from New York, she is excited to experience Clemson, South Carolina, and all that college has to offer. Jess has always loved writing, but HerCampus is the first place Jess is sharing her writing with others, and is the first place where it is being published! She is very excited to be a part of the amazing HerCampus team at Clemson University!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19