The Best Lyrics from Every Song on Taylor Swift’s Lover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Lover is a masterpiece, and I’d be lying if I said I haven’t been playing it on repeat. Even as a die-hard Swiftie, I knew that Taylor had a lot to live up to after incredible albums like Red, 1989, and Reputation, but she managed to create a lyrically beautiful album that will stand the test of time. Don’t believe me? I’ve put together a list of the best lyrics from all eighteen, glorious tracks to prove it.

“It isn’t love, it isn’t hate / It’s just indifference”

From “I Forgot That You Existed”

“And I screamed for whatever it’s worth / I love you, ain’t that the worst thing you ever heard? / He looks up, grinning like a devil”

From “Cruel Summer”

“All’s well that ends well to end up with you”

From “Lover”

“’Cause if I was a man / Then I’d be the man”

From “The Man”

“Who could ever leave me darling… / But who could stay?”

From “The Archer”

“Lyrical smile, indigo eyes, hand on my thigh / We can follow the sparks, I’ll drive”

From “I Think He Knows”

“Running through rose thorns / I saw the scoreboard / And ran for my life”

From “Miss Americana & The Heartbreak Prince”

“Went home and tried to stalk you on the internet / Now I’ve read all of the books beside your bed”

From “Paper Rings”

“We were a fresh page on the desk / Filling in the blanks as we go”

From “Cornelia Street”

“I ask the traffic lights if it’ll be alright / They say, “I don’t know”

From “Death by a Thousand Cuts”

“He likes my American smile / Like a child when our eyes meet, darling, I fancy you”

From “London Boy”

“Holy orange bottles, each night I pray to you / Desperate people find faith, so now I pray to Jesus too”

From “Soon You’ll Get Better ft. Dixie Chicks”

“Staring out the window like I’m not your favorite town / I’m New York City”

From “False God”

“Comparing all the girls who are killing it / But we figured you out / We all know now we all got crowns”

From “You Need to Calm Down”

“Why’d I have to break what I love so much?”

From “Afterglow”

“Livin’ in winter, I am your summer”

From “Me!”

“Something gave you the nerve / To touch my hand”

From “It’s Nice to Have a Friend”

“I wounded the good and I trusted the wicked / Clearing the air, I breathed in the smoke”

From “Daylight”

Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).