alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Always a Bridesmaid, Never a Bride

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

It’s that season again. Better yet, it’s that time. I’m at the age where a lot of the people I went to school with, my own friends, and even my family members are getting engaged. This past year, one of my best friends since middle school got married (a wedding in which I was a bridesmaid), my two cousins got engaged (and I am going to be a bridesmaid in one of those this upcoming year), and one of the girls I used to work with got engaged (and I am most likely going to be a bridesmaid in that as well).

All of these people in my life seem so happy and have their lives all together and set for the future. Unfortunately, I do not have the same luck. Yes, of course, I’m still young and still have some time left in college ~blah blah blah~ but sometimes it just kinda sucks. I want to be happy for them, and of course, I am, but deep down I wish that was me. It’s hard knowing all of the people around you have their future planned out while you’re just sitting on the sidelines looking in.

The worst part of all of this? Going to the wedding without a date and everyone in your family asking, “when will that be you?” or “when are you going to get a boyfriend?” Trust me, I’m wondering the same dang thing. I was recently telling one of my aunts that I will most likely be a bridesmaid in one of my friends’ weddings, and my nana said to her “always a bridesmaid, never a bride.” That one hurt. Yes, it’s true at the moment, but will it stay that way? I sure hope not. For the time being, I’m going to get myself through college, continue being a bridesmaid in my friends and family members weddings, graduate, and maybe find someone along the way. If not, that is okay, too. After all, it’s God’s timing, not mine, and patience is key.

Morgan Wagner

Clemson '21

I'm a Senior Management major at Clemson University. I am currently apart of Women in Business, Campus Trendsetters through Her Campus, and attend FCA. I am from Greenville, SC and in my free time I enjoy spending time with friends and family, loving on my two cats, and watching Netflix!
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).