8 Products to Keep Your Skin Healthy This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Congratulations, you have made it to the best time of the year! You’ve got Thanksgiving and Winter Break all within your reach. This also means a change of seasons is coming, and winter upon us. Here are some products to keep your skin healthy as it gets cooler and dryer.

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel (Target, $15.99)

If you don’t already know, winter means cold, dry air. Your skin, especially your face, is prone to dryness as the season goes on. This moisturizer uses hyaluronic acid to keep your skin soft and moisturized all day long without making your skin oily.

Promising Review: “I have combination skin and this product works great to hydrate it. It helps eliminate dry areas but does not leave my face feeling oily. Its lightweight formulation feels refreshing on the skin and gives it a smooth and healthy feel. I really like this product and would work on both people with oilier skin and those with dry skin.” (Target.com)

Mario Badescu Botanical Exfoliating Scrub (Ulta, $26.00)

It’s important to have an exfoliation routine throughout the year; however, in the winter, it’s also important not to use anything too abrasive. This scrub is gentle and leaves the skin feeling refreshed. If you have sensitive skin or redness, this mask is great at calming down irritation. Keep in mind that most people only have to exfoliate three times a week. Don’t overdo it or you can do more harm than good!

Promising Review: “I could see results with this product after the first use. My skin instantly looked and felt so much smoother and softer. It looks as though my pores are reduced and my skin is glowing. Right after using it, my skin is a little red (which I feel is normal for an exfoliator) but once that wears off my skin has less red in it than it would be otherwise! So basically, I really feel like this product does everything it promises and I will definitely be looking into more from this brand!” (Ulta.com)

The Body Shop Body Butter (The Body Shop, $12)

Fun fact: taking care of your skin doesn’t mean just taking care of your face. Your skin – especially your hands, feet, and elbows – can get really dry. These body butters offer deep moisture and have a variety of scents to pick from! (I am in love with the limited time only Vanilla Pumpkin Body Butter!)

Promising Review: “I use this Body Shop Body Butter every night before I climb into bed. I find that my skin is soft and silky even during this cold and snowy winter! I slather this on my arms, legs, hands, and feet. It isn’t greasy and the scent is light and it is easy to just put it on and go to sleep.” (Ulta.com)

Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch SPF (Ulta, $14.99)

Sunscreen is not just for the beach! Ask any esthetician or dermatologist, and their number one advice for healthier skin is wearing sunscreen. You should be wearing sunscreen every day, and the SPF in your foundation is not enough. Neutrogena Sheer Touch SPF is great for avoiding shine and a greasy feeling, but any sunscreen will work.

Promising Review: “I have tried several sunscreens for daily use, including sunscreens that are much more expensive than ultra sheer. Ultra Sheer is definitely my favorite, and it easily fits into my budget considering I used it daily on my face, neck, and arms.” (Ulta.com)

Burt’s Bees Lip Balm (Burt’s Bees, $25.99)

Dry winter air is your lip’s worst nightmare, so be sure to add lip care to your routine. You don’t need to do anything fancy but throw on some lip balm in the morning as needed and before bed. Here’s a value pack so you can have a different flavor every day!

Promising Review: “It’s completely amazing. The best stuff out there. And better yet, it’s all-natural. There’s no harsh chemicals or unpronounceable ingredients. It doesn’t leave your lips feeling sticky, greasy, or worse than before. A little goes a long way and it’s unbelievably soothing and smells delicious.” (Ulta.com)

Mario Badescu Special Mask for Oily Skin (Ulta, $18)

If you have oily skin, you still need to moisturize! It seems counterintuitive, but it’s true. (Try to use oil-free moisturizers). If you are still struggling, I recommend using this mask weekly or biweekly. It draws out excess oil and impurities without leaving your skin overly dry, which is perfect for cold weather. I use it year-round once a week or as needed, and it works miracles! It dries super-fast, so you can use it at night or in the morning to fight oiliness all day.

Promising Review: “I’ve had acne for the last 20 years. I  began using products with zinc in them & this mask every other day. It didn’t dry out my skin like others in the past did. I’ve only used it twice so far but my skin is looking better already. No new breakouts, no oily nose halfway through the day.” (Ulta.com)

Dove Moisturizing Body Wash  (Dove, $5.94)

Again, your entire body needs a good, moisturizing skincare routine. Dove’s body washes are gentle and leave your skin feeling fresh and soft. Super simple and super worth it.

Promising Review: “No matter the weather, I can always count of Dove body wash to keep my skin hydrated. Even when I travel to places with harsher water, Dove is there to keep me moisturized!” (Dove.com)

Water

Yes, you read that right – water! The best part about this product is that it’s free. Hydration is so important for your overall health, but I want to stress how great it is for your skin. It’s linked to clearing up acne, reducing puffiness, reducing pore size, and slowing down the process of aging. Winter or summer, you need to hydrate!

Sara is a Communication major studying at Clemson University. She loves writing and reporting on all topics, but favors writing on wellness and lifestyle. When she isn't writing (or doing homework) she loves going to the gym, listening to music, and watching movies with friends. Follow her on instagram @sara.ciply
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).