6 Squirrelly Facts for Squirrel Appreciation Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Something you’re likely to see while walking around Clemson’s campus is squirrels. They’re everywhere. It’s literally impossible not to run into them while you’re walking around campus. Did you know they have their own national appreciation day? Indeed they do, and it’s coming up: January 21st. So let’s look at some cute gifs of squirrels and learn some fun facts about Clemson’s best friends.

Squirrels can eat their own body weight in food every week – which is about 1.5lbs!

Squirrels can fall from 30 meters (approximately 98 feet) without hurting themselves.

Squirrels can run at 20 miles per hour! However, they usually only run around 10 miles an hour.

The biggest species of squirrels, the Indian giant squirrel, can grow up to 36 inches long. The smallest species of squirrels, the African pygmy squirrel, only grows to be about 2.5-5 inches long.

Squirrels’ teeth never stop growing. The gnawing of nuts and other objects keeps their teeth from getting too long.

The 200 different species of squirrels are native to every continent except Antarctica and Australia.

We see them every day, but we never really think about them too much. Go outside today and take some cute pics and videos of the squirrels you see around campus! 

Happy Squirrel Appreciation Day!

I'm a junior Psychology major with a minor in the social science cluster. I love horseback riding, hanging out with friends, and watching copious amounts of Netflix (especially Criminal Minds and Parks and Rec, duh). I am also a part of Gamma Phi Beta, Psychology Club, and Girl Up.
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).