This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Coming to Clemson I had no idea that I was going to meet so many people from my home state. Chances are you probably know someone from NJ or someone who knows someone from NJ. If you don’t, now you do, me! I wanted to take the time to write this article because for some reason, among non-New Jersey residents, the beautiful state of New Jersey has a bad rep. Whether it’s the over used “OMG, do you like know Snookie?!” or “Is your dad in the mob?” I’ve honestly heard it all. I don’t hate on people who don’t know about New Jersey because honestly, I didn’t know much about South Carolina before coming here. All I heard was that girls wear pearls and dresses to football games, people love their sweet tea, and college football is a way of life.

Myth Number 1: The cast of Jersey Shore is from NJ. (btw no one dresses like them either)

Okay, this is 100% not true. For starters, only one person on the cast is actually from New Jersey. The area where they filmed Jersey Shore wouldn’t even be considered a beach to those who are native to the state. The people filmed in that show are all “benny’s” as locals call them. Which is fine, you boost our economy and that’s great but you contribute to the bad reputation that we have. So please, GO HOME.

Myth Number 2: NJ residents are bad drivers.

I would not call NJ drivers bad. I would call us safely aggressive. I have driven in so many states and I can honestly say learning how to drive on the Parkway and Turnpike has kept me out of so many accidents by being able to quickly assess a situation and get out of a lane. I would not limit this driving behavior to just New Jersey. I think it’s a northern thing as a whole.

Myth Number 3: The whole state is dirty/smell bad.

I’m not going to lie and say that ALL of New Jersey is rainbows and butterflies and smells like roses but, not ALL of New Jersey smells like areas such as Elizabeth. For those of you who don’t know, New Jersey is called the “garden state” because there are over 715,057 acres of farmland in NJ.

Myth Number 4: We talk with a “Jersey” accent.

This is an easy one, NO. I have never in my entire life heard someone say “New Joisey.” It just does not happen.

Myth Number 5: The Jersey shore has gross beaches.

For people whom associate New Jersey beaches with Seaside and other various beaches depicted on Jersey Shore, THERE ARE OTHER BEACHES! New Jersey has 130 miles of beautiful beaches. I personally live in a beach town and have never lived more than 10 minutes from the beach my entire life…until I started attending Clemson. Beach withdrawals are a real thing!

Myth Number 6: Everyone is obsessed with Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi.

Sorry, this actually isn’t a myth and is 100% true. Ever since I was little I remember my parents attending Bruce concerts numerous nights in a row. When I turned “of age” I was so excited to be able to experience my first Bruce and then my first Bon Jovi concert. I consider it to be a right of passage. And come on, Bruce never goes out of style—he has his own XM radio channel.

So I hope that after reading this, you know a little more about where I come from and next time someone says they’re from New Jersey, you’re not too quick to judge them based off of your misconceptions about the beautiful state that I call home.

Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!