tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things Your Friend Who Doesn’t Drink Wants You To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.
I don’t drink because I don’t want to, so please don’t pressure me to drink. 

Whether I’m not drinking because it makes me anxious, I don’t like how it makes me feel, or trauma in my life related to drinking, it’s my choice. As my friend, I don’t want you to make me feel worse because I choose not to participate in your activities.

I don’t think less of you for drinking

I really don’t think poorly of you for drinking. I just choose not to do it for myself. If I say something to you about slowing down, encourage you to drink water, or try to stop you from doing something, it’s because I care about you and notice that you might make a bad decision while you’re not fully aware of what you’re doing.

If you need a ride (or anything), CALL ME!

Please, please, please don’t worry if I’ll be mad at you or if you don’t want to make me feel left out. I would much rather give you a ride than have something horrible happen. We’re friends, and I’m here for you.

Sometimes, I feel left out.

It does get lonely sometimes being the only one sober some nights, and I know I do it to myself. Maybe one night we could do something together that doesn’t involve drinking (because don’t forget that you can have fun without alcohol, too). 

I will record everything funny you do while drunk and show everyone in the morning.

That’s my job for the night! I have to make sure no one forgets any of the embarrassing things they have done. So, you can count on me to catch everything.

I am a student at Clemson University with a major in Marketing and minor is Psychology. I am from Greenville, SC and in my free time I enjoy new adventures and hanging out with my friends and family.
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).