5 Things Your Friend Who Doesn’t Drink Wants You To Know

1. 1. I don’t drink because I don’t want to, so please don’t pressure me to drink. 

Whether I’m not drinking because it makes me anxious, I don’t like how it makes me feel, or trauma in my life related to drinking, it’s my choice. As my friend, I don’t want you to make me feel worse because I choose not to participate in your activities.

2. 2. I don’t think less of you for drinking

I really don’t think poorly of you for drinking. I just choose not to do it for myself. If I say something to you about slowing down, encourage you to drink water, or try to stop you from doing something, it’s because I care about you and notice that you might make a bad decision while you’re not fully aware of what you’re doing.

3. 3. If you need a ride (or anything), CALL ME!

Please, please, please don’t worry if I’ll be mad at you or if you don’t want to make me feel left out. I would much rather give you a ride than have something horrible happen. We’re friends, and I’m here for you.

4. 4. Sometimes, I feel left out.

It does get lonely sometimes being the only one sober some nights, and I know I do it to myself. Maybe one night we could do something together that doesn’t involve drinking (because don’t forget that you can have fun without alcohol, too). 

5. 5. I will record everything funny you do while drunk and show everyone in the morning.

That’s my job for the night! I have to make sure no one forgets any of the embarrassing things they have done. So, you can count on me to catch everything.