5 Reasons Why Hulu’s Shrill is Worth the Binge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

When Hulu released Shrill in March of 2019, I quickly added it to my queue – and then watched reruns of Bob’s Burgers and completely forgot about the new comedy starring SNL comedian Aidy Bryant. The premise of Shrill was promising, but while it could’ve been totally amazing and empowering, there were a million and one way to get that wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time that a show promising body-positivity and personal growth failed to live up to expectations, and if I’m being honest, I was afraid of being disappointed once again.

But I was wrong to delay my Hulu binge. Shrill didn’t just meet expectations, it exceeded them.

Why is Shrill so good? What makes it so worth the binge that I watched all six episodes in one sitting?

It doesn’t hesitate to “go there.”

A lot of shows are afraid to really address the root of the issue, but Shrill takes no prisoners. Instead of just saying that “Society is mean to overweight people, and that’s bad,” Shrill breaks down what that actually means and how a series of microaggressions add up to significant trauma. Embracing your body doesn’t mean drastically changing it to meet societal expectations, and this is only one of the radical ideas that Shrill proudly delivers.

The “villains” are real people – and more recognizable than you’d like to admit.

Every teen movie seems to feature a central bully who is unattainable and unfamiliar. Very few people actually know a Regina George who balances staggering beauty and wealth with cold-hearted ruthlessness and a deep desire to destroy the protagonist. But you do know the “villains” of Shrill. They’re everyday people who may even have your best interest at heart but have been conditioned to hurt you. They’re a cruel internet troll, a stranger in a coffee shop, a coworker, or even your own family.

The “hero” isn’t perfect.

Annie Easton is a badass, and nobody can convince me otherwise. But she’s a flawed character because humans have flaws. She’s going through an incredible transformation that’s empowering and inspiring, but she’s not immune to mistakes. She’s real, and that’s the best part about her. Her authenticity shows the viewer that they can be just like her if they dare to break out of the mold.

It’s honest.

Honesty is what gives this show its relatability and strength. Annie’s struggles are real, and they inform the decisions she’s made and the life she’s built. She’s doing amazing things, but she’s also making some big mistakes. She has this incredible support system, but they’re people, too, with genuine problems of their own. As you’re watching this show, you can really stop and think, “Wow, this could actually happen.”

Self-growth and healing aren’t linear.

Annie makes incredible strides towards self-growth, but it’s not linear. She doesn’t have an epiphany and then take steps that expand on her healing until she’s finally reached some goal. She experiences the true ups and downs of self-improvement. Sometimes, she’s confident and successful, and sometimes, she just needs a hug. If there’s one thing that this show should teach you, let it be that you can have set-backs and still become a better person.

If you’re looking for a bit of empowerment or just a captivating show, watch Shrill on Hulu. I promise that you won’t regret it, and soon, you’ll be counting down the days until the next season is released.

Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).