5 Reasons Halloween is Better than Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

October is here which means nicer weather and the most wonderful time of year! I was talking to a friend earlier this week who just wasn’t as excited as I was about ~spooky season~. He tried to tell me that Christmas was better than Halloween, and after giving it some real thought, I respectfully disagree. A mass majority of people probably agree with him, but it won’t be the first or last time a mass majority of people are wrong. So, I have to set the record straight and give Halloween the credit it deserves. It’s a much better holiday than Christmas, and I can prove it! 

It’s in Autumn Instead of Winter.

For one, Halloween takes place in a more ideal time of year. Light jacket weather is the best weather. We can all agree that autumn is far superior to winter. Fall has the changing leaves, Starbucks drinks and cute layers we love without the puffy jackets that ruin outfits. 

There Are No Stressful Gift Exchanges.

Christmas comes fully equipped with long lines at stores and anxiety over getting the perfect gift. You have a tiny budget, a big family and no clue how you’re gonna afford everything. Your brother just wants cash, your mom deserves things way out of your price range and God only knows what your dad wants! What do you buy for the guy that just buys everything he wants for himself?! 

Christmas is supposedly the time for giving, but what’s more in the spirit of giving: feeling obligated to spend money on people you don’t really like or handing out free candy purely for the fun of it?

There’s No Holiday Glum.

Whether we realize it or not, the “most wonderful time of year” isn’t fun for everyone. Some people have lost loved ones or experienced things that can make the Christmas season difficult. The holidays can be hard in general for the less fortunate. 

Holidays like Hakana and Kwanza are often overlooked, making the endless cycle of Christmas-themed-everything a headache. Even though not everyone chooses to celebrate Halloween, I don’t think it brings people down as much as Christmas can. 

There Are Fun Costumes. 

I mean, sure, you have the always-fun ugly sweater party but your costumes are so limited around Christmas. Whereas for Halloween, you can dress up as literally anything! The possibilities are only limited by your own imagination. 

The Movies Are Better.

I know I’m not the only person that hates those half-baked Christmas movies.  Luckily, we don’t have to subject ourselves to Hallmarks endless marathon of corny holiday flicks just yet. Instead, we get to enjoy the love letter to the holiday that is Free Forms 31 nights of Halloween! Sure, there are Elf and The Grinch but nothing beats Hocus Pocus and Halloween Town.

From autumn weather, adults in ridiculous costumes to excessive amounts of sugar, what more could you want out of a holiday? Sure, Christmas is cool and all, but when it comes down to it, nothing beats that Halloween Cheer!

Niara is a Marketing major with a minor in Brand Communications and Business Writing. She's from Columbia, South Carolina and spends most of her free time arguing with her twin sister and daydreaming.
Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).