5 Local Charities to Help This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

We all love the holidays for so many reasons: the lights, the family, the festivals (and the gifts). But we should all stop and take a minute to remember the people in our community who don’t have the luxuries we do. As college students, we can’t always afford to give monetary donations and help out, but we can give them our time. Don’t know where to start? Here’s a quick list of some nearby charities that we know would love your help this holiday season!

1. Pickens Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels helps deliver meals to people across the community who can’t take care of themselves. Orientation takes less than an hour, and then you can help others stay warm and full this winter.

2. Helping Hands of Clemson

This amazing non-profit is a foster home and emergency shelter for abused and neglected children. Because of that, there’s a little more training involved, but the kids really appreciate having someone come and give them some love!

3. Oconee Humane Society

Love animals? This is the place for you. Fill out a quick application and spend your time socializing cats and dogs! Want to help but not too big on pets? No problem! Help out at the front desk, fundraise, or teach others about the humane society. Whatever works for you, this is one place that is sure to get you some hours.

4. Clemson Free Clinic

The local free clinic is always ready to accept volunteers! Their times are listed on their website, as is their phone number, and they always need help with filing, organizing, and making phone calls. If the Clemson one isn’t close to you, check out the Anderson Free Clinic, too!

5. Clemson Downs

Just a few minutes from campus, you can spend your time here manning the front desk, helping with meals, or just keeping the residents entertained. If you’re certified, you can even help with dance and exercise classes! No matter what you do, the residents are always so excited to have new visitors spend time with them.

I'm an Honors Biological Sciences major here at Clemson University. I love science, theater, poetry, and music and am incredibly passionate about world events, especially what's going on in the Middle East. I love meeting new people, trying new things (especially food), and sharing new experiences with the people I love!
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.