5 Benefits of Being Single in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

5 Benefits of Being Single in College

Sometimes, being single is hard. With engagement season in full swing and Valentine’s Day just behind us, it seems like everywhere you turn, you’re reminded of your eternal 

loneliness. Okay, that’s a bit dramatic, but sometimes it seems like everyone around you is in an extremely committed relationship, while you’re left eating ramen and watching 

The Office.   That’s not necessarily a bad thing, though! Late night ramen is the tastiest, and it’s a scientific fact that a few minutes of John Krasinski can fix any bad mood. When 

you start to get down about flying solo, remind yourself that are some very real benefits of being on your own during these formative four years…

You Get to be Selfish

College is a time for discovering yourself. Being single means that you can do things like studying abroad or joining a million clubs without any worries. You only have to worry 

about making yourself happy and exploring your own hobbies.

You Only Have to Pay for Your Own Food

Let’s face it, we’re all broke in college. When you’re single, you don’t ever have to worry about politely offering to pay for someone else’s pizza while silently praying that they 

decline. 

You Have More Time for Your Friends

You never have to choose between turning up at that party or staying in with your bae. You get to spend as much time with as many friends as you want without feeling like 

you’re neglecting your significant other. You also never have to deal with your best friend accusing you of ditching everyone for your new relationship. Win-win, really. 

You Aren’t Tied Down

This might seem like an obvious one, but it’s definitely true. College is filled with beautiful, single people! Single you can take a new date to every function and meet a 

million potential cuties.  Take advantage of this time alone and try to meet as many interesting people as you can!

Your Post-Grad Possibilities are Endless

Ring by spring might sound good in theory, but ending college in a serious relationship definitely limits your after college possibilities. When you’re single, you have no 

attachments. You can move anywhere in the world and embark on new adventures without worrying about maintaining a difficult long distance relationship. Graduating on 

your own is an exciting opportunity, so take advantage of it!

So, next time you’re eating ramen in bed alone on a Saturday night, think about how truly lucky you really are!
Laura Robinson is a Junior at Clemson University studying English with minors in Education, History, and Legal Studies. Originally from Boston, MA, her life revolves around Dunkin Donuts, trashy reality TV, channeling Blair Waldorf, and putting random things in online shopping carts that she will never actually purchase.
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!