nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Being in a relationship is great, but so is being single.

Being single is normally considered the end of the world. No one wants to be single. Seeing people down the street showing public display of affection makes you feel all lonely. Having that significant other is a beautiful thing to have. Being in a relationship may the best feeling, but there are perks to being single. Here is a list that shows being single isn’t all that bad after all.

Communication

When you’re in a relationship, you want that feeling of having someone there. This means getting goodnight texts, long phone calls and conversations, and someone taking you out on cute and romantic dates. Realistically, there are some completely boring phone calls and conversations, the “I’m busy tonight” texts or going hours upon hours without hearing from that special someone. Most of the time, you start worrying or overthinking about him/her breaking up with you, and thoughts of that will take you to the worst case scenarios; or it could just not bother you at all.

When you are single, you don’t have much to worry about. You’ll most likely just talk to your friends and not think it is a big deal if you don’t receive a text back. You don’t have to deal with the anxiety that comes over you when you don’t receive a text back from your significant other. No more lame responses for why he/she didn’t respond back like:

•“I was busy”

•“Sorry I fell asleep”

•“I didn’t see you texted me”

Dances

Whether its prom, homecoming, formal, Sadie Hawkins dances or even just parties in college, you most likely need a date, which would be that significant other. If you don’t have a date, the feelings of disappointment and loneliness might cross your mind.

If you want to get away from those feelings, go with a group of your best friends who don’t have dates. It takes away the feeling of waiting to be asked or having to search for a date. It’s less pressure to yourself, and you will be sure to have a great time.

Trust

The most important component of a relationship is that you trust your partner. When you do trust someone, you trust them with your deepest darkest secrets. It a special bond that you don’t share with anyone else. Sadly, in many relationships, that trust is broken. You may hear something from someone that you know you only told that significant other.

The one good thing about being single is that you don’t have to worry about telling him/her any of your darkest secrets. You don’t have to worry about opening up to someone with the thoughts that that person could possibly be cheating or sharing your secrets. Your mind stays clear of that.

Dates

Going on dates can give you a sense of nervousness and stress; nerves about what you are going to wear, when that significant other is going to pick you up for your date, or if he or she is not going to show up for your date at all. Nobody wants that feeling of anxiety.

As a single person, you never have to think about that. You never have to think about having to buy anything for Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or birthdays in addition to the normal load you’re required to buy. You can enjoy another holiday being single and worrying only about yourself.

If you have that significant other, that feeling that you have someone to buy you special gifts and give you attention is amazing. But don’t forget that being alone is just as amazing. Love yourself before you are able to love others.

Hi! I am a junior Business Management major at Clemson University. I am apart of Women and Business, National Society of Human Resources Management, and attend FCA. In my free time, I love to hang out with friends, drink coffee, and just live life.