20 Things You Don’t Know You Need for Clemson Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Welcome new Tigers! We couldn’t be more excited to have you on campus with us. Between First Friday Parade, the football games, and classes (not to mention making emotional phone calls back home), we know you’re going to be slammed for the next few months. In addition, remembering things that you wish you had in the middle of the semester can be so inconvenient. So, while you still have some time and energy, grab a friend and check out this list of things that can help make your first year here as amazing as we know it’ll be!

1. Power strip

Not only will they increase the number of outlets you have, but they can also make it more convenient to reach them! Also relevant…

2. Extension cords!

3. Storage bins

These help clean up clutter and keep your room looking gorgeous especially if you get the foldable kind that are easy to put away or go under furniture. Plus, if you get the storage ottomans they can serve as extra seating for friends!

4. Extra umbrellas

Clemson’s weather is pretty unpredictable, and you never want to be left without a spare.

5. Extra water bottles

I’ve lost water bottles on campus and walking across Clemson in this heat with no water is a bad idea.

6. Rain boots

Fashionable and functional!

7. Plastic bags

They fit perfectly in small trash cans, and you never know when they might come in handy!

8. Amazon Prime membership

Amazon has amazing deals for students including textbook rentals. With Prime (which comes at a discount for students) ordering books is an affordable breeze!

9. Snacks

If you’re like me and get hungry at the most inconvenient times, this will be a life-saver.

10. A clip lamp and fan

These are really convenient for keeping up airflow in your room and for late night reading/studying!

11. Bed caddy

I had one freshman and sophomore year and it let me avoid the pain of having to get off my lofted bed anytime I needed something. The caddy kept a snack, a book, and my phone!

12. Lap desk

These are so handy because they let you study anywhere in your room, even on your bed!

13. Futon/chair

Eventually, you’re going to want friends over and they’re not all going to fit on your bed. Having extra seating makes your room cozier and makes having your friends over even easier!

14. Extra blankets

Never hurts to make things a little extra cozy, am I right?

15. Anti-allergen bed cover

You’d be surprised how dirty a dorm room can get no matter how clean you keep it. For people with allergies (like yours truly), this is a life saver!

16. Door stop

It’s a great way to make your space more inviting, especially those first couple of weeks when you’re still meeting people! Plus if your door’s open people will stop by and say hi.

17. Wet wipes

These are great for a quick cleanup and you never know when one of those will come in handy! Speaking of which…

18. Paper towels!

Keeping some extras around never hurts either!

19. Extra medicine

Whether it’s an upset stomach, headache, or sudden cold, keeping some extra Tylenol or Tums doesn’t take up space and might save you at the last minute.

20. First aid kit

My first year at Clemson this came in handy way more often than I thought it would for myself and for others!

I'm an Honors Biological Sciences major here at Clemson University. I love science, theater, poetry, and music and am incredibly passionate about world events, especially what's going on in the Middle East. I love meeting new people, trying new things (especially food), and sharing new experiences with the people I love!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19