10 Types of People You See in Cooper Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

As a Clemson student, you will spend time in the library whether it is a short trip to Java City, visiting friends, a break between classes, or good ol’ studying. As we all know, there are several different types of people you will encounter. After weeks of observing, I’ve created a list of the ten most common people you are likely to see if you sit in the library long enough.

1) The Loud, Obnoxious Person
I’m starting with this one because most people can associate with this, even if you happen to be guilty of this, yet completely oblivious to it. Nine times out of ten, you will find this person when you are in the library to be absolutely focused with no distractions. They talk and laugh loudly frequently and you may suddenly feel some tension, which is also accompanied with aggression. Sometimes, they quiet down and you begin to relax and become focused again only for them to see something funny on their laptops and laugh loud enough for birds outside to fly away. It’s as if Kanye West is telling them “Don’t let them get in their zone!”

P.S. As I was writing this, I just witnessed (or rather heard) an overly exaggerated dap on the second floor of Cooper that just echoed through the entire room. I kid you not.

2) The Group Project People
These can come in sizes anywhere from two to what seems like ten people. Sometimes, they even feel the need to shout over one another. If you’re unlucky enough, you will find a group full of several Loud and Obnoxious people mentioned above. From what I can tell from my own personal experience in February, they even enjoy rap music! I know this because one kid was rapping Jay-Z and Kanye West’s “N*ggas in Paris” at a very loud volume, enticing a few fellow group mates to join in. Okay guy, 1) That song has been out since August; update your life. 2) You’re rapping in the library. 3) You need to go home.

3) The Ultra Serious Studier
You have to love these people because they are the reason we have been ranked in US News’ Top 25 Public Schools for a few years now. Or they just procrastinated really badly. Anyways, the point is, these people are usually intensely into their work with no distractions or breaks of focus whatsoever, which is totally a great thing! The only problem is, it is not for whoever is sitting near by. For starters, if you are like me and have human proportioned Daddy Long Legs, then you suffer from the constant embarrassment of accidentally kicking anything under a table that will make a loud noise. Or, if you
are unorganized, you tend to rustle through papers in order to find stuff. But, whatever noise it is that you unintentionally make, you cannot help but to feel bad for potentially disrupting the Ultra Serious Studier.

4) The Loud, Obnoxious Person meets the Cellular Device
If your phone accidentally goes off aloud in the library, it’s cool, it happens. If you have to answer it, again, that is perfectly fine. However, if you happen to enjoy talking loudly on your cell phone, get up and go somewhere deserted. Nothing is more annoying than the loud phone talker in the library. They either have no shame or are completely unaware of this. If you have friends who do this, please tell them what they’re doing. Real friends would not let their friends make a fool of themselves. Also, if you have a ringtone and you accidentally left your phone on loud, do NOT stare at your phone for 25 seconds before reacting. This does not make sense. It takes all of 2 seconds to see who is calling you, if that long. If it is unknown number, still at least have the common courtesy to hit some kind of button to silence it. Trust me, NO ONE wants to hear your Baby Got Back ringtone.

5) The Table Crowders
Nothing says ‘Happy Studying!’ like being at a table full of strangers that are all up in your bubble. Because we are all family at Clemson, one random person joining a table with you is not a big deal at all. Usually, even two people joining you is bearable. But, the most annoying thing that can happen while sitting alone at a four-person table is when three people walk up and sit at your table. UM, HELLO?! This person likely came to the library for space and peacefulness, and you all just took both from them. Go elsewhere.

6) The Outlet Hoggers
I must start out by saying this is a very rare breed, but they do exist. They usually fall under two categories: they either put chargers in an outlet and cover the remaining one with the charger or they leave their laptop plugged up for a few hours… after the green light comes on signaling it is charged, that is. And especially awful, you may encounter the occasional person who not only charges their computer, but feels the need to charge their phone. Just stop.

7) The Reunion People
Also another rare species, but you will probably see them at least once. They see an old friend in the library they haven’t seen in, like, forever. Forever being anywhere from two weeks to three years. Anyways, they will have a little chitter-chatter for a couple of minutes before returning to work, so it is usually relatively painless for all who around them. Unless, of course, one of them is a Loud, Obnoxious Person. Then, you should expect an annoying, never-ending conversation about the mundane details of their lives.

8) The Loud Snacker
I once sat next to a girl who every time she bit into her celery, I cringed. And we were at least five to seven feet apart. However, this does not necessarily pertain only to loud smackers and chewers. It also refers to those who choose foods that are loud regardless of their chewing habits (like the celery) and those who buy food with loud wrappers. We are all guilty of unintentionally crinkling loud wrappers, let’s all just be a little more courteous and at least make an attempt to quietly open our bags of chips.

9) ASC Tutors
I’m sure we’ve all had our days when we are thinking, “Is that darned ASC building done yet??” It truly is a tragedy to be sitting on the 5th floor and then out of the corner of your eye seeing a great, bright neon blur out of the corner of your eye approaching the table. The neon blur is the bright green/yellow vests that the tutors wear so that people will see them. They set down a sign saying what subject they are tutoring for and you sit there, hoping like heck that no one has to be, as one of my friends would say, “tuted.”

10) Your Own Friends.
These could be the best and the worse people on the list to see in the library. Yeah, sure, it is motivating when you have someone else to keep you company and motivate you to stay in the library and do work. BUT, they happen to be the biggest distraction that anyone could ever have. The other
day, I caught a friend googling pictures of James Lafferty from One Tree Hill. So naturally, like most college girls, I had to look at a few for myself (I recommend it, btw). Another example good is example is my fellow HCC contributor, Tyler Norton, another close friend of mine, and myself in the library. We happened to be both be born in Charleston, and went to school together since the 6th grade. Therefore, we know the same exact people, so when we Facebook creep while wasting time, we feel the need to tell each other or chat to each other things to go look at. This can be very detrimental to the studying process, so think wisely before accompanying close friends to the library.

There is always something interesting and entertaining in Cooper Library. One of my personal favorite hobbies is people watching. Feel free to take this list with ya next time or pull it up online and see for yourself if my list is accurate. Happy Coopering!

(All photos courtesy of Clemson Libraries)

Paige is a senior at Clemson University majoring in communication studies and minoring in business and technical writing. Hailing from Northern Virginia, she is the campus correspondent and founder of Her Campus Clemson, as well as VP of membership programming for her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, and a contributing writer for The Tiger. She loves writing and photography, and after studying abroad in France this summer, she hopes to someday be a photographer and writer for a travel magazine. She has a strong passion (obsession) for social media, and when she's not tweeting or Facebook stalking, you can find her watching Criminal Minds and Glee, inhaling Chipotle burritos, jamming out to swing music, or shopping for new gameday outfits. GO TIGERS!