10 Things the “And That’s Why We Drink” Podcast Made Me Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

I’ve finally done it. After months of obsessing over “And That’s Why We Drink,” I’m fully caught up on the Paranormal/True Crime podcast, and a lot has changed since I casually downloaded an episode while studying abroad. Here are ten things that happened after I binged “And That’s Why We Drink.”

1. I Submitted a Listener Story

All true “And That’s Why We Drink” fans secretly dream of their true crime/paranormal stories being read on the podcast by the power duo of Christine and Em, and I’m one of them. My story definitely didn’t make it to the air, but I got a super cute email from Christine that made it completely worth it.

April Fool’s! Our voices might sound a little different in this month’s Listeners’ Episode! ??

A post shared by AndThatsWhyWeDrink (@atwwdpodcast) on

2. I Followed Them on Instagram

Every episode of the podcast ends with Em’s speedy and efficient rundown on their contact info, and this is proof that it is actually worth it (even if Em lowkey hates it). Putting a face to some of my favorite voices makes the show even better, and I’m way too excited to see pictures of little Gio.

3. I Fell in Love with Baby Gio

Speaking of Baby Gio, this dog is the cutest! I mean, his gorgeous little face has been featured on the cover of magazines. What else could you want? Even if he is a Scorpio, he’s a cutie.

4. I Told Everyone About It

If you’ve ridden in my car, chances are that you’ve been exposed to ATWWD in some form, and even if not, I’ve definitely talked about it. I made my mom listen to it while on a road trip, and she still texts me to ask how they’re doing. (PS. She even credits Christine with giving her the confidence to curse.)

5. I Counted Down until #ChristineGetsBlaised

Christine and her long-time boyfriend announced their engagement at the beginning of the podcast, and on October 13th, 2018, they tied the knot. Christine shared her emotional journey on the podcast, and from the announcement to the crazy bachelorette party, we’ve been along for the ride. When she asked Em to officiate her wedding, even I teared up.

But even beyond the future Mr. and Mrs. Lampugnale, all ATWWD couples are OTP. If Allison and Em ever break up, I will lose it.

6. I Rooted for Their Tour and Full-Time Commitment to the Podcast

As someone listening to the series for the first time this summer, I got to watch their growth and evolution as a brand at hyper speed. I couldn’t be more proud of them, especially as they focus on the podcast full-time. Every time they announce a sold-out show, I let out a little cheer. If they ever decide to host a show nearby, you bet I’ll be first in line.

7. I Decided Harold and Peggy are Very Pretty and Definitely Not Evil Dolls

There’s nothing quite like a haunted doll story by Em, and I’m still obsessed with these two cases. The Harold the Doll story is especially terrifying, and I was sitting on the edge of my seat during the whole episode. I may be a skeptic at times, but even I know not to insult these dolls.

8. I Emotionally Invested in Walt the Ghost’s Life Story

The ATWWD podcast isn’t the only spooky thing in Christine’s house. In addition to her fiancé and brother, Christine has another male roommate – the ghost Walt. Christine and Em brought listeners along as they experimented with communication and got to know Christine’s paranormal housemate.

9. I Struggled Between #TeamWine and #TeamMilkshake

I may have finished the series, but I still haven’t picked a team. How are you supposed to decide between Milkshakes/Ghosts and Wine/Murder? Maybe frosé is the compromise, but if not, I’m still loving the podcast.

10. I Actually Bought Some Sponsored Products

I’m not ashamed to admit that I’ve used the discount code “drink” with a few sponsors. Is it really my fault that Fabletics leggings are amazing and discounted because of my favorite podcast?

If you want to see what will happen when you finish “And That’s Why We Drink,” check them out here.

Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.