Worcester as a Sanctuary City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

In response to President Trump’s immigration and travel ban, we asked the Clark community to share their thoughts on Worcester as a sanctuary city. Here are the responses:

“Keep it as a sanctuary city, immigrants deserve a home.” 

“Pretty positive, it seems extremely diverse and welcoming”

“I feel that it will be comforting to a lot of people.”

“I think Worcester becoming a sanctuary city is incredibly important because it signifies unity in the community. Trump’s immigration ban is blatantly racist and we must stand in solidarity with those who are impacted as a result of it. I saw a quote online that read, “We must keep Americans safe, but we cannot become un-American in the process”. We are a country which claims to welcome everyone no matter where you come from and this policy does nothing but normalize discrimination in a country built on immigrants. Go Worcester!!”

“I believe that Worcester should not be a Sanctuary City, namely because it would likely harm the immigrant populations more than it would help them. Taking a stand is important, but taking a stand that will harm the community you’re standing for is neutral at best, harmful at worst. Essentially, it puts a target on Worcester’s back”

“Great idea, citizens must be protected against a tyranny”

“Declaring Worcester as a sanctuary city puts a target on the backs of minorities living here and their supporters. It puts funding for the city at risk and threatens to worsen poverty.”

“I think Worcester should become a sanctuary city. There are so many refugees and immigrants in Worcester so it makes sense. I’m surprised Worcester isn’t already a sanctuary city.”

“One thing that I love about Worcester is its diversity. I think the wide range of people that call Worcester home is what makes this city so unique, and I think that now more than ever it is the city’s duty to make sure all of its people are welcomed and safe here.”

YES”

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Ciara is a student at Clark studying Political Science as well as Cultural Studies & Communication. She spends her time running around between classes, working at both the Campus Store and Annie's Clark Brunch and trying to figure out what to do with her life after she graduates this May. When Ciara is not juggling her busy schedule, she enjoys spending time with her friends and family, binge-watching Netflix (specifically The Office) and reminiscing her semester abroad in Ireland. Her favorite color is green and her guilty pleasure TV shows are The Bachelor and Dance Moms. Ciara is thrilled to be a Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Kelly Rourke! Be sure to follow her daily shenanigans via Twitter and Instagram @ckils23 HCxo