Culture > News

Women Breaking Barriers: One Step Closer to Congress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

A Democratic nominee is on her way to becoming the first black women in Congress from Massachusetts.

Ayanna Pressley is currently serving on the Boston City Council. In 2009, she became the first woman of color elected to the council. And now, Pressley is the 2018 Democratic nominee for Massachusetts’s 7th congressional district.

Pressley defeated incumbent Michael Capuano. Capuano has held his position for 10-terms, and had never been “seriously challenged for his seat,” according to Buzzfeed News.

Pressley’s reaction after learning she won has gone viral.

The moment when @AyannaPressley learned she won. No commentary needed. ? #ChangeCantWait #mapoli #ma7 #electwomen #electionday pic.twitter.com/SLLlQTI1Sj

— Jesse Mermell (@jessemermell) September 5, 2018

“It seems like change is on the way,” Pressley said in her victory speech. “I am so humbled to be standing before you tonight, victorious … It’s not just good enough to see the Democrats back in power, but it matters who those Democrats are.”

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.