Why You Should Go Abroad in The Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

This summer I studied abroad in London. I did so through the Clark-approved Boston University Summer London Internship Program (LIP). The program included two courses (I took both in journalism) and an internship. It’s an experience I will never forget and one that I am truly thankful I was able to go on.

First, the people really made the experience. I had some amazing roommates. We would go on adventures both in London and outside of the UK as well as just stay up late at night talking. Beyond my roommates, I was able to make some great friends who were just also in the program. The cool thing was that everyone in LIP stayed in the same dorm. There were five floors and about 100 people or so in total. I can’t say I knew everyone, but the people I did get to know were super great, and I’m sure we’ll stay in touch.

Second, the timing. I didn’t feel like I missed much. Everyone lives in a different state from me anyways. Yes, maybe I would’ve taken a trip for a week to visit, but my friends at home and I still facetimed and texted all the time. It wasn’t too different from what it would’ve been anyways. The one big difference was that I could only text while on wifi due to the phone program I was on.

Third, exploring. You will never have a chance like this. It is so easy to travel in Europe once you’re there. Take advantage! But even more so, there’s so much to do in London itself. The city is amazing, and I want to go back so badly already. There are so many markets, parks, palaces, restaurants, museums, pubs, and so much more that you must visit and see.

Fourth, you won’t regret it. Yes, I was homesick during July 4 as no one was really celebrating. And yes, there were times I wish I could have been home with family and friends. But that’s normal. I will never regret the experience I took in London. It is one of the most memorable, risk-taking things I’ve done, and I loved it.

And lastly, fifth, it will give you a great outlook. I don’t want to be that person who says studying abroad changed me. But I feel like I matured. I also know that this experience looks great on resumes and in interviews (though that’s not the main reason I did this).

Go forth and explore!!

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.