What You Missed at the Clark Drag Ball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

OPEN hosted its annual Drag Ball event Thursday at Clark University.

OPEN serves as an awareness and support club at Clark for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer students. Members are “dedicated to improving support and awareness in both the Clark community and all over the globe,” according to the club’s Facebook page. OPEN also values its allies.

This year’s Drag Ball featured lip sync performances. With a lot of hair flips, splits, and high heels higher than I could walk in, it was all a sight to be seen.

“Don’t be a drag, just be a queen,” OPEN posted on its Facebook page.

The night started off with a performance by Glitterous. She lip synced to a Lady Gaga melody. With three costume changes and two back-up singers, it was quiet a way to start off the night. Definitely a tough act for the rest to follow.

Lee Res, in her fish net tights and leotard, lip synced to Christina Aguilera’s “Ain’t No Other Man,” which was met to a lot of applause from the audience as she strutted and danced back and forth on the stage.

Prizes were given for best solo and group performance.

Awards were also given out for best solo and group costumes. Four people competed. A David Bowie costume seemed to be the crowd favorite.

While drag was optional—and welcomed—the club suggested for people to “dress up to the nines.” About ten people dressed in drag, and not too many wore anything fancy.

Mocktails—which were continuously being invented and changed throughout the night—and candy were provided.

The club also holds events such as Coming Out Stories and the Month of Awareness throughout the school year.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.
Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!